• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit Ab9 raid setup... Need Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
I have an Abit Ab9 (not the Pro) and have difficulty setting up raid 0. If I boot up I do not get the Ctrl + I option to enter into the raid config utility. What am I doing wrong???
Thanks

First make sure you have your HDD's connected to the onboard JMicron RAID controller, then in the BIOS under the 'Onboard PCI Device' section... check to make sure the 'JMB363 SATA Controller' option is set to Enabled, and 'SATA Mode' is set to RAID (not IDE).

OK, I got the Raid 0 to work...however now my IDE port has a conflict with the jmicron raid config....my CPU usage go up to 60% when I burn a dvd or install from my dvd-drive.

Is there any advice or should I dump this mobo...any advice on a decent $150 mobo without jmicron crap.

Thanks

The new aBIT boards require a bit of patience. Have you updated to the most recent bios rev on your mobo?

I know there were tons of problems on the AB9 QGT referencing the JMicron controller, but were all fixed with a bios update.

I see the same problems everywhere with the JMicron and Intel P965 chipset, especially with Gigabyte's boards. Shame you don't have the Pro model with Intel's ICH8R(R for RAID) southbridge chipset. If you don't get this sorted out, look for a board with that.

What do you mean exactly by "now my IDE port has a conflict with the jmicron raid config"? Are you referring to the 60% CPU usage when burning a disk as a "conflict"?

Well to answer you evelizer, nobody responded to my questions for a while that is why I posted it a few places to solicit some decent and workable responses....still waiting for some advice that will actually be of use:mad:

redduc900 said:
What do you mean exactly by "now my IDE port has a conflict with the jmicron raid config"? Are you referring to the 60% CPU usage when burning a disk as a "conflict"?

Yes, I read on other forums that in order to get your optical drives to function properly on the AB9 you have to configure the IDE port to use the jmicron controller ...problem is when you set up raid you need the same controller so your IDE port operate in PIO mode in stead of the Ultra DMA mode the way it is suppose to. In PIO mode the optical drive loads the CPU to transfer data...not sure how it exactly works, hence my need for advice from the "experts" out here.

looking at those 2 threads you didnt wait to long before making another. let alone give people a chance to respond/post in the ones you made. *thats my only issue, cause now its like i have to keep track of 3 threads for you to try and help.*

Brolloks Posted
Yesterday, 10:32 AM
Evilsizer Responded
Yesterday, 08:50 PM

then new thread not long after making the first one.
Brolloks posted
Yesterday, 11:12 AM
Rocinante responded
Yesterday, 09:38 PM
just FYI posting the same issue in more then one spot will get the other threads deleted.

well the way it is suppose to is iffy since it supports other modes as well not just UDMA. there wont by any bios update from abit or firmware from jmicron that will solve this since it is a hardware limitation. you will either have to get a SATA dvd-rw or just use it in PIO-4 mode. its not the answers you want to here but thats the only way to solve the issue.

Ok, fair enough, sorry about the multiple postings, did not know that it was policed that strictly.

As far as my issue, thanks for the comments, it looks like I'll have to go for an alternative mobo or SATA DVD drives:)

Back