• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7-G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you volt mod your board? I want to run high fsb as well, and I was told that I need a VTT mod for it (Assuming VTT refers to NB... I forgot).

My mobo is not volt modded. You don't need the VTT mod unless you do the vdimm mod for voltages above 2.8v. A standard unmodded IC7/IC7-G only goes up to 2.8v vdimm and VTT tracks fine up to 2.8v. Back when I was trying to get my 2.4C to run stable at 300 FSB (got screen shots, but was never quite stable), I just used the 5:4 ratio. I can run like 295 FSB stable, so an IC7 with no volt mods will do high FSB with good cooling. It's my CPU that was the weak point.

Last edited:
1. Well, I have a 2.8e, so I was thinking of running the 533 on nvstrap (or w/e that's called)... this way I'd be able to run higher fsb... hopefully (intel newb).

2. Also, a VTT mod is for the NB chipset, right?
3. I'm definitely going to get higher vdimm somehow (booster or mod), so I'm assuming that I'll DEFINITELY need to mod the chipset.

yeah, I wish I still had my intel system with a 2.4c. Unfortunately I only had a 1.6a, but damn did that thing clock :D

it's too bad that the stock NB coolers on these boards don't tend to last very long. the fan on my MAX3 started making weird noises then finally died a few weeks ago. the same thing happened to my friend as well... just a heads up.

i really want to do the VTT mod, but it looks a bit more difficult than Vdimm and some of the other mods :-/

Everything's risky. The funny thing is that this damn board is so expensive!

theres no risk lol i like my MB allotttt! just cool her down and she will love you. :)
top ten in 3dmark 03

when my NB fan started too fail i put her on water

im planning on OC'ing the max once i get this mobo. My current P4SD-LA just is one of those locked up mobos that you cant do anything with.

My main rig is now an Abit AA8XE, but I ran those IC7 mobos for years. Got my first one when they first come available. I will always have a special place in my heart for the IC7. They were rock solid performers and held up well. One of the better socket 478 mobos for the Prescott too. I have an extra plain IC7 tucked away as a backup in case my current AI7 (HTPC) or IC7-G (backup rig) bites the dust.

You guys think I can do well with my 2.8e on this board? I still haven't had the time to mess around. What are temps I should range in, and what should my max load not surpass? I'm on a Zalman 7700 copper (120mm)

I used one of the first Prescotts out on my IC7, it was an old 2.8E C0 stepping, and I was able to squeeze 3.8 gig from it. I was able to get 3.9 gig from a 3.0E D0 stepping. Try to keep CPU load temp down below low 60's and don't use much more than 1.5v vcore (actual). Since the IC7 undervolts a little, you might get away with 1.525v in the BIOS. Look at the link in my signature for cooling socket 478 Prescotts. Extra case ventilation is critical.

What if I go above 1.525v? What's UNsafe voltage?

And low 60s? Damn... and that's safe? I never like to break 50C on my A64, and never liked to on my AXP either. I know intel is different, but 60s you say, eh?

Higher voltage than about 1.5v actual can fry the mobo mosfets. Yes, the Prescotts can easily handle temps up to the mid 60's.

Back