• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABIT KW7 CAPACITOR LIST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clh333

I have a self-built system from around 2004 using an ABIT KW7 board and an Athlon XP processor. I had not used the system for several years but recently fired it up and found the system unstable. Trying to reinstall WIN XP I found it would blue-screen at XP startup.

Research turned up a couple of facts: ABIT is out of business and their boards, along with others, suffered from faulty capacitors. Some vendors offer cap "kits" but I can't find one for the KW7 and can't find a listing of the board's components' specs. If anyone has a lead on either of these please reply.

I found one capacitor (16V 1200uF 105C) on the board with a cold solder joint. I suspect there may be other problems: I can see a few smaller caps that appear to have "tilted", indicating possible leakage. As a related question: Does anyone have a suggestion for a competent repair technician familiar with these boards?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
CLH333 (newbie)

Your best bet is to do it yourself and as to the specs they all you need to know is listed right on the side of the cap and a quick search will point you towards y number of vendors that sell them. I recommend using Rubycon brand replacements. If you really, really don't want to do it yourself I or a couple other folks here could do it for you if bad caps are indeed the only problem.

Thanks for the responses.

I'm only concerned about professional repair because the board is now irreplaceable. The hardware has an FDC and the BIOS can speak to 5.25 floppies. I have a couple of TEAC drives and a raft of old floppies that I would like to investigate.

I guess I'll give it a shot.

Caps on the board are Rubycon; didn't know whether they were among the suspect caps mfd in earlier '00s. I can solder well enough to replace the caps, it's diagnosing them that challenges me. Digikey is a long-standing supplier.

CLH333

Update on KW7 MOBO

I have a self-built system from around 2004 using an ABIT KW7 board and an Athlon XP processor. I had not used the system for several years but recently fired it up and found the system unstable. Trying to reinstall WIN XP I found it would blue-screen at XP startup.

Research turned up a couple of facts: ABIT is out of business and their boards, along with others, suffered from faulty capacitors. Some vendors offer cap "kits" but I can't find one for the KW7 and can't find a listing of the board's components' specs. If anyone has a lead on either of these please reply.

I found one capacitor (16V 1200uF 105C) on the board with a cold solder joint. I suspect there may be other problems: I can see a few smaller caps that appear to have "tilted", indicating possible leakage. As a related question: Does anyone have a suggestion for a competent repair technician familiar with these boards?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
CLH333 (newbie)

Thank you for all your suggestions. I obtained an inexpensive capacitor tester and found the 1200uF Rubycon cap to be right on the money and holding voltage. Yesterday I re-soldered it back into place and reinstalled everything else. The board POSTed and I completed the WINXP installation and several service packs and driver installs; in all about 4 hours of run time.

Whew! Thanks again for your help.
CLH333

Update and final post, I hope...

Repaired the board by re-soldering the faulty cap, which I determined was within spec. Re-installed board, which ran for a few hours or so and then crashed again. No blue screen, just lights-out.

Found a replacement board from local CraigList and populated that with my old processor, XP 3000. DOA. Got a 2500 XP on eBay with cooler; installed that . BIOS ran for ten seconds after POST, then shut down with two-tone siren. BIOS search says temperature or voltage problem. Reseated cooler, re-applied therm paste, no soap. Replaced power supply with higher-rated unit. Same results.

Bought another XP 3000 CPU from eBay and installed that using my old cooler. Board is now running without incident - so far - after about a week or ten days of intermittent use.

Thanks again to all who contributed.
Charles Hudson

Back