• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus X99 Pro not posting after BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kronnyq

Registered
So here's the story. I built this system in early 2015. Had it overclocked to 4.5Ghz, then tuned down to 4.3Ghz because I was gettin some crashes during video encoding. System ran pretty much flawlessly, never saw CPU temps much over 65C. Yesterday, woke the computer up from sleep mode. Within 5 seconds, I got bsod "whea_uncorrectable_error" which is fatal hardware error. Computer did a dump and attempted to reboot. Never posted, Qcode led reading 00. Cleared Bios, reboot, same thing. Can't get any output to monitor, Qcode stuck on 00.

I tested my PSU, it's fine. Googling I found there to be a lot of the same issue with this board, after about a year or so it just will not post and has to be sent back under warranty. Problem is there are also instances of the VRMs failing on the board and frying the CPU. So the hardest part in diagnosing this issue is finding out if the motherboard is shot or both mb and cpu. Short of trying the CPU in a different motherboard, can anyone think of any possible way to determine if the CPU is bad? I highly doubt local computer shops have a 2011-v3 motherboard laying around, it's not a hugely popular chipset. If I send back the motherboard for a new one and have the same problem, I'll probably lose it! A lot because I hear horror stories of replacement boards being DOA.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as this is the 5th forum I've posted my problem on, not able to get any help elsewhere.

Full system specs:

Asus X-99 Pro
5820k that was OC'd to 4.3ghz ~1.3v
Corsair RM 750W psu
Corsair H100i cooler
4x G.Skill ripjaws 4GB
EVGA 980 GTX
Samsung Evo 500GB

Code 00 is a bad motherboard.
CPU's very rarely go bad.
RMA the board if you can.

I highly doubt local computer shops have a 2011-v3 motherboard laying around, it's not a hugely popular chipset.

I don't know where "local" is for you, but it isn't really a rare chipset/socket. It would be worth some phone calls and/or an internet search. Fry's, Microcenter, even the occasional Walmart. Maybe a computer repair shop could help you out.

I don't know where "local" is for you, but it isn't really a rare chipset/socket. It would be worth some phone calls and/or an internet search. Fry's, Microcenter, even the occasional Walmart. Maybe a computer repair shop could help you out.

Local for me is Pittsburgh, PA. No Fry's or Microcenters even within the state. I've already e-mailed half a dozen computer repair people on Craigslist to no avail. Mr. Scott has me convinced, either way I'll be replacing the board. Hopefully the VRMs didn't fail too hard. Thanks guys.

Yes, either way you have to replace the board. That is the logical step #1. Then if it still doesn't post you will need to replace the CPU as well. Take one step at a time.

00 is usually cpu... now what came first, chicken or the egg, good question...

That said, buy a board and see.

Welp, just got my motherboard back from Asus. They said it tested fine and their recommended action was reflash/ update Bios (no component used). Supposedly you can access and update the Bios without a CPU or memory installed, however still getting Code 00 when booting and no display. Is it possible that the PSU is bad even though the voltages tested fine? What about video card...even if it's bad I should at least get some post codes right?

Welp, just got my motherboard back from Asus. They said it tested fine and their recommended action was reflash/ update Bios (no component used). Supposedly you can access and update the Bios without a CPU or memory installed, however still getting Code 00 when booting and no display. Is it possible that the PSU is bad even though the voltages tested fine? What about video card...even if it's bad I should at least get some post codes right?
I think you got railroaded. How can they test a board as good then tell you in the same breath to reflash and update the bios. You would think that's the first thing they would have done.
Annnd......you're still getting 00 with nothing installed. That's the board.

I think you got railroaded. How can they test a board as good then tell you in the same breath to reflash and update the bios. You would think that's the first thing they would have done.
Annnd......you're still getting 00 with nothing installed. That's the board.

That's what it sounds like to me. The board actually will not post without a working CPU though so I still can't know if it's the mb or cpu. I did however try the BIOS flashback and it will not work. You supposedly only need to have the PSU plugged into the motherboard along with the USB stick in the flash port, and it just doesn't want to go. I guess my only option now is to send the CPU back to Intel and see what they have to say. Wouldn't at all be surprised if they say the CPU is good, I've heard plenty of horror stories about Asus customer service. Cannot find anyone local with a 2011-v3 motherboard either which really sucks.

Welp, turns out it was actually the CPU. RMA'd motherboard to Asus, they sent it back saying it tested fine. Intel RMA process took 2 friggin weeks but I guess it was a bunk CPU, never would have thought. Not sure if I can continue to trust this socket.

Thanks for getting back to us. Seems like we have had an unusual number of posts lately with dead CPUs. Not as rare as it used to be apparently. So do you have a replacement CPU yet and is it up and running?

In the past 3 years I've been paying a lot of attention in the forums for defective CPU's and it is very common for me to see them, however I'm in the Intel forums also. I also had a sky lake that would freeze for 3 months on and off and CPU RMA fixed it.

Back