• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Actual Proof that heat is bad for computers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nerdlogic said:
Talk about ignorance! I would agree with the manufacturer call. It seems like the best approach.

They maybe ignorant but that's why we have jobs :D

We bring in the expertise and advise them of their options and offer solutions.

-Bobby

didnt your servers come with somekind of documentation that suggests operating temperatures? if not Dell should be able to send you some written documentation

Bobby said:
moz_21 - Sorry for picking on you but would that make you a moron if you don't know how to put together a V8 engine? I think not. Not everyone can know everything about everything.

-Bobby

Think about that like this: The car is your computer. The engine is your cpu.

To get the car to move you need an engine. Doesn't matter what kind but you need one. Now, the engine would just blow itself up without some kind of cooling, be it air like a VW Bug or water like most other cars.

To get a computer to go, you need propulsion. A cpu. Again, doesn't matter what kind but you still need it. Like an engine, it will just blow itself up without cooling.

Granted, these systems have heatsinks and such, but you pack anything hot into a small space, its gonna get really hot.

I thought of this after the above:

You could also think of it like your car in summer. Its sitting in the beating sun all day while you're at work. You go to your car and get in it. Its oven tempuature in there. You leave without opening your windows or turning the A/C on. You turn the heater on instead (the computers). It gets hotter and hotter, doesn't it? Now, you are able to drive down the road but you are very uncomfortable. That is like the computer: it is able to operate but it is uncomfortable to it.

And i'm not mad that you picked on me ;)

Ok, my analogy is a bit flawed but the problem is that most people don't realize how much heat a computer puts out and they don't really need to. We're all freaks in here (yes, you too!) and want our systems to run cooler so we can o/c even more.

Whenever you tell someone they need to spend a lot of money on something they don't understand, their natural response would be to say no or not want to. Once you explain it to them and the benefits of it, they can make a more informed decision. I've had companies not go with the better a/c or redundant power for the a/c unit to get burned a few months later and spend 3 times what they weren't willing to spend in the begining. You really can't do much but fix the problem and hope they learned their lesson.

-Bobby

Simply tell them how hot the room will get without cooling and it will get so hot that it will be unsafe for people to work in there with the servers running.

Do xenons have thermal throttling? Show them a xenon with a heatsink and one without and compare preformance. I love many of the ideas listed here.

Yuriman said:
Do xenons have thermal throttling? Show them a xenon with a heatsink and one without and compare preformance. I love many of the ideas listed here.

Another good idea.

Yuriman, shorten your sig or i'll send Tanya to do it for you!

Cjwinnit said:
Simply tell them how hot the room will get without cooling and it will get so hot that it will be unsafe for people to work in there with the servers running.

Better yet, make them spend their workday IN the closet, with the door closed...they'll see how hot it gets in there... ;)

Or leave the room closed for a day, set them to turn off when they reach unsafe temperatures, as quoted by intel in their tech docs (depends on exactly which processor you're talking about), and when all the servers turn off, just say that they reached unsafe temperatures, show them the tech docs.

Also, tell them, that witout adaquite Cooling, there is a potential Fire hazard. If they put a server in a closet, and it builds up heat. not only are the servers in danger, but the entire closet, and room it is in. remind them, that the cooling is MUCH cheaper, than having to replace an entire room that burned down.

Just remind them, that without cooling, the servers arn't the only thing that is in danger there.

i bet they will have a hard time Arguing with Safty. When they hear " fire Hazard " Ther perspective should change pretty quickly. At least we HOPE that the words " Fire hazard " should work on them......if not...i feel sorry for the kids in that school, who knows what stuff they could have said no to, and is just an accident waiting to happen......

Contact the local fire saftey inspector. I'm sure there are electrical setup issues as well. They will then need to get an analysis of the setup. I'm sure ac will be accounted for then. You will loose points with your boss though.

Oh man, at the office where I work, the server room door has to stay open. I'm not sure if there are no AC dusts in there or if it's just not enough to keep the room cool, but when that door is closed, the room heats up pretty fast, so there's a sign that says "Please leave this door open"

Back