• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Add Backplate later?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snorlaxxx

Registered
Hi,

I'm having bad luck with my order. (EK ASUS 290 DCU II).
First I got the wrong water block + backplate (reference one) and now I've been informed they don't have the right backplate in stock. Apparently it may take a few weeks until I get it... :(

So my question is can I mount my GPU block, assemble my loop and add the backplate at a later point in time without taking it out?
My understanding is that the gpu block mounts with a different set of screws to the pcb and the backplate needs just five screws which go to the block.
So theoretically the block should stay in place and it should only be a matter of placing the thermal pads on the back and screw the plate on top of it, right?

Most backplates I have dealt with have nothing to do with what is going on the front of it. I would assume this is the same, however I never had the card in my hands. You should be able to look at it, and your waterblock/setup and figure out the need though just by looking at the screws. ;)

Yeah, I'll have to wait and see. It really seems that it should work. The pdf on their site shows the five screws that need to be unscrewed in oder to mount it. That tells me, that not all screws need to be undone. Just like you said, the front has nothing to do with the back.

A cool thing would be if the ASUS backplate would fit. I don't think it does, but who knows... I will take a look at it and report back :)

Yes, you can install just the waterblock till you get the right spec backplate. Backplates are there not just only for looks for but for support and some slight ram cooling if there are any located in the back.

More for support. 780TI back plates help to cool VRAM on the back, but it's really not necessary or they would have the cards included with them.

Back