• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Added a blow-hole...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a c i d.f l y

Didn't make a ****'s difference. I have heavy negative pressure in my case (two fans on the front that really have no negation over case pressure), and one on the side, one in the back, and the blowhole now (not including the 120mm psu fan)...

No temp difference.

Can you say frustrating after tearing up and making a nasty looking hole on the roof of your case?

Anyways.... thought I'd *****.

-Frank

All that work for nothing...I know the feeling well.
Although you didn't get the results you were looking for at least you tried and found some answers.
I would try making all fans (other than your psu fans) intake fans other than the one you just installed in the top of your case. Make that one the only exhaust.

I always thought it was supposed to be intake in the front bottom with exhaust in the rear top? Yea it sucks not to see a difference but does it at least look nice?

How big is your case? If it's some big Aopen case, probably because there is just too much air as opposed to if it was a Lian Li case with a small area for air.

The big question is, what was the difference between your case temps and ambient temps in the first place?

That kinda sucks, sorry man. Something else to put me off doing a top blow hole in mine ;) :D

try experimatnig with intakes and exuast, If all you have is exoust then you are going to have crappy temps. Try making them all intakes and see what happens. keep experimanting. that's the only way to true perfection( of course that dosen't exist do get as close as possibel)

I thought about putting a blow hole in the roof of mine to. My 550 watt psu can get a little warm and all that hot air just sits at the top. I've got a cheiftec dragon with a 1 80 in the front (intake) and 1 in the read (exhaust) and 1 above the agp (intake) and it still get pretty warm in there. I might do it when I switch mb's, it is allot of work though.

I don't know! When I added a 80mm blow hole, I also added a 120mm front intake at the same time. I lost over 10*C in case temps. Installed in a very restrictive Raidmax Scorpio mid tower.

After hard gaming my diode temps would drop within five minutes to idle temps.

Well, also, it might be too close to the PSU. If its spaced apart more, air would flow more freely and the 2 fans woundn't fight over it. I'm gonna add 2 to my PV1000

a c i d.f l y said:
Didn't make a ****'s difference. I have heavy negative pressure in my case (two fans on the front that really have no negation over case pressure), and one on the side, one in the back, and the blowhole now (not including the 120mm psu fan)...

No temp difference.

Can you say frustrating after tearing up and making a nasty looking hole on the roof of your case?

Anyways.... thought I'd *****.

-Frank

too much negative pressure balance it with intake and exhaust..

Re: Re: Added a blow-hole...

theELVISCERATOR said:

too much negative pressure balance it with intake and exhaust..

I agree that I have gotten the best temps with a balance,this topic is up for debate as to what is best individually.

Some are getting great results from almost total positive pressure.

What works for one may not setup may or may not work for another. As I've already said trying experimenting with the fan intakes and exoust. totall negatice pressure is a bad thing when ever I've tried it.

My blowhole works best on those hot summer days where the heat just keeps buildin and building on it's self. I have 3 intake fans at various posisitions and 3 exaust fans. try the duct approach if your blowhole diden't make much diff.

[duct description]

my side intake fan's airflow is splitup and directed in 3 different directions(onto the northbridge, combined with rear duct for cpu, blown onto the ram)

the front intake fan is blown accrossed my hd and then blows acrossed the ram kindof.

the rear intake fan is directed straight into my tornado which is also combined from a duct from the side intake.

(used airflow)

the air coming out of the upper and lower left of the cpu hsf is redirected by a duct into the 92 mm psu exaust fan.

the air coming out of the upper right of the cpu hsf is ducted straight to the blowhole.

the air coming out the lower right of the cpu is combined with the air from the side intake fan and blown acrossed the northbridge which then eventually finds it's way to the 80mm exaust fan on the psu.

there is no ducting on my vid card since i don't overclock it.

[/duct description]

so you might say that i have slightly positive airflow.

the extera air being blown to and sucked from my tornado makes it spin 500rpm faster than without the duct work. :D which also makes it about 10dB louder:rolleyes:

ducting the air makes sure that the air won't sit around in your case and recycle its'self. (it also helps to have a psu with a few extera fans than the normal cheapo ones

have you tried using the exaust directly below your PSU as an intake? it would blow room air on your HSF, and then the blowhole would be an exaust...so would your psu. i have yet to try this myself, but i'm not having temp problems yet...when i have the tools i plan on making a blowhole...2, actually, ne over my video card for intake, and a top for exaust. but thats when i can do it cleanly....

till then i'll just deal...

but try flipping your exausts to intakes behind your cpu.

I'm waiting for my generic UV 120mm fan to be delivered but I made the blowhole about 4 dyas ago. I have 6 intake fans including 2 SF2 and the only exaust fan is the PSU fan.

When i put my fan over the blowhole I can feel A LOT of air coming out. Mind you ther is no fan there yet.

So I would recommend like a few other people did to make all of your fans to intake. Try that out.

Well if you have all your fans to exhaust and have lots of neg pressure -- then the sensible place to put a blowhole would be a big hole right over the CPU HSF in the side of the case. Maybe duct it narrowing down a bit to direct the air more directly at the CPU.

Dunno why a blowhole in the top. Convection does very little with so many CFM being powered thru your case. And in any case with neg pressure a top blowhole is going to suck in and fight any convection anyhow.

the wesson

PS now a hole in the side of your case is easy to mock up with cardboard. Don't know how you would mock up a hole in the top - in my case, I can't take off the top.

Back