• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding a GTX 780 to my H240x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

istari675

I got the H240x a few months ago and am happy with its performance so far. I was interested in getting a water block for my ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5, but have never looked into this before. What would be involved, and what would you say would be the difficulty of a project like this?

You'll need to read the Water Cooling stickies a few times through before starting.

It'll entail:
- Purchasing GPU block
- Purchasing another radiator (at least 2.120 worth, preferably 3.120 worth)
- Purchasing fittings and tubing
- Draining loop
- Tubing new system
- Fill/bleed the new system
- Test the WC system for 24hrs without the system powered on (jumper PSU, only run the pump)

We can help you in more detail if you'll list your system like I have it in my signature.

Here ya go. Sorry for the delay didnt think about specs.

Processor-----4790K @4.0Ghz
Motherboard----------------Maximus Hero Vi
CPU Cooling----------------H240x + x2 AeroCool DS 140MM
Video------------------------ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5
OS Drive--------------------Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Storage Drive---------------WD Green 1TB
Power-----------------------Corsair AX 760 PSU
Memory---------------------x2 G.Skill Ripjaws
Case-------------------------Corsair Graphite Series 760T

Okay I still have a few general questions, but thanks for the direction.

1. Is the pump on the H240x powerful enough to handle a graphics card, and that radiator without a noise issue? I cant hear it over the fans now, but I do intend to upgrade to noctua in the future.

2. Should I go with a full water block for my card so everything is cool, or should I get the universal block on the chip and a heatsink for the rest of the card? The fans in the radiator are going to be the only source of airflow so that might heavily limit my performance potential, correct?

Yes, that pump is plenty. That's one of my favorite things about the H220-x and H240-x.

Yes, go full cover.

I guess ill just go with swifttech for the radiator. What are your thoughts on brands when it comes to the full cover?

Thankfully I don't care too much about how it looks since its a covered door model, but wow thats ugly. Its a bit small but it looks like its covering up all the important bits.

It looks like the tubing would be different though. Will bottle necking the waterflow like that mess anything up?

Thankfully I don't care too much about how it looks since its a covered door model, but wow thats ugly. Its a bit small but it looks like its covering up all the important bits.

It looks like the tubing would be different though. Will bottle necking the waterflow like that mess anything up?

Flow through it will be just fine.

Keep us posted with some nice images of your rig once everything is all set and done. :D

Back