• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding external speakers-TV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I've exhausted all options for adjusting sound settings in order to hear the dialogue in some programs, unable to understand when the characters are talking in hushed tones in some scenes, particularly in action movies. BTW, the TV in question is an LG 47LS4600 47", about 6 yr.s old IIRC.

Looking at the connections on the back, it looked pretty straight forward, either optical digital out, or the RCA type connections.

IMG_20180523_214035.jpg

I just want to hook up some 2.0 PC speakers so I bought a 3.5MM Mini-Stereo Female to Two 3.5MM Female Speaker Splitter Cable.

Hooked up the splitter to the TV and speakers, changed the settings in Audio Settings form "Internal-on" to "off"(per manual) and viola!....nothing.

I don't know which direction to go, I had thought about maybe a soundbar(cheapest being 10X more $$ than the PC speakers), but I don't know if I can get bluetooth audio enabled on this TV.

And, I don't know zip / don't have any optical digital up-scale sound equipment.

It just looked pretty straight forward,..:shrug:

Ideas?

Does your computer audio have some sort of gaming setting that enhances voices? Ex: My Creative software calls it "Crystalvoice". Huge difference if activated on my rig. Otherwise use the equalizer just about every audio chip app has and punch up the mid range to bring voices forward. Worth a try for free. :D

Does your computer audio have some sort of gaming setting that enhances voices? Ex: My Creative software calls it "Crystalvoice". Huge difference if activated on my rig. Otherwise use the equalizer just about every audio chip app has and punch up the mid range to bring voices forward. Worth a try for free. :D

The speakers I have on hand are Logitech S120 2.20 Watts (RMS) 2.0 Speakers, only has a volume knob. Sadly, the TV's audio settings are primitive, just have "clear voice" on/off, "sound mode" with standard, music,cinema,sport,gaming. :rolleyes:

Ahh. I would have thought the motherboard's driver/utlities disk would have some sort of audio app, but I completely spaced on your Linux distros. My bad.

Ahh. I would have thought the motherboard's driver/utlities disk would have some sort of audio app, but I completely spaced on your Linux distros. My bad.

This is a TV in the living room that has limited sound quality.

Looks like I'll have to explore the optical digital hardware options, was hoping the RCA adapter would have done the job.

It looks like audio RCA is only for *inputs*. Do you have a headphone jack on your TV? You can use headphones to...whatever speakers accept adapter and that should work. I used it that way. You must have some kind of audio output if you can disable internal speakers.

Check TV sides for headphone jack. Or maybe somewhere at the bottom. My sony tv has one on the right side. Maybe manual has diagram too

Something like this, see green?
View attachment 199105

It looks like audio RCA is only for *inputs*. Do you have a headphone jack on your TV? You can use headphones to...whatever speakers accept adapter and that should work. I used it that way. You must have some kind of audio output if you can disable internal speakers.

Check TV sides for headphone jack. Or maybe somewhere at the bottom. My sony tv has one on the right side. Maybe manual has diagram too

Something like this, see green?

RCA= inputs only...rats! The manual makes no mention of usage.

Great suggestion for checking for headphone jack, my old(older) 42" had all kinds of ports on the right side. Oddly this TV does not.

A headphone jack would have been a godsend, but just not happening. :(

So I went ahead and bought this Digital Optical to Analog Audio Converter...late night Newegg purchase. :eek: Looks like it 'should' do the trick.

The Digital Optical to Analog Audio Converter arrived, so I set it up. Not rocket science, pretty straight forward...plug the cables in the appropriate ports.

Then, in the TV settings- disable internal speakers, enable Digital Optical Out...done & done.

Nothing. No sound. $28 down the crapper. :rain:

Here's a pictorial summary of the hook-up:

DO-out.jpg

DO_cable.jpg

adapter2.jpg

adapter1.jpg

Any ideas as to what went wrong, pls advise.

Ok, may sound good, but did you try without disabling internal sound?

It may be that disabling internal sound disables **all** sound processing done inside TV. Example: tv gets only video through video cable and sound is routed into separate amplifier.

Give it a try without disabling anything, maybe it'll work:)

Sorry twin post, but also: try playing with volume while plugged in. It's possible signal strength will be controlled with volume key.

Ok, may sound good, but did you try without disabling internal sound?

It may be that disabling internal sound disables **all** sound processing done inside TV. Example: tv gets only video through video cable and sound is routed into separate amplifier.

Give it a try without disabling anything, maybe it'll work:)

Excellent suggestion, sadly it did not work.

I can see the light coming through the cable, so the cable and its connection to the TV are good.

Everything is securely plugged into the Digital Optical to Analog adapter, I'm wondering if maybe the RCA adapter is not compatible with the PC speaker cable jack...

Hmm, sorry to hear that sir I'm out of suggestions, I'll let superior minds kick in.

SadlyI don't have a receiver/amplifier or an optical from a mobo to do this check.

That do make it difficult. Other than finding a friend or family member who can help, I'm not sure where to go with it next. Just producing the light doesn't necessarily mean it's sending a decipherable signal.

Back