• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding in more RAM issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jafa

Hey guys,

First time poster and have been recently lurking to try fix my RAM issue but I'm rather basic when it comes to the ins and outs of PC's.

I'll get straight into it.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Current RAM: Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 (800mhz) 4-4-4-12

New RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR2-800 DUAL CHANNEL KIT TWIN2X4096-6400C5C (5-5-5-18)

I was hoping to have 6GB total but have been hit with just bsods or I've even tried just using the new RAM but I cant enter BIOS as my keyboard refuses to turn on with the new RAM.

I'd be happy with just the new RAM.

Would be much appreciated if anyone could offer a solution to my problem :bang head

so you tried adding the new "4gb" to your existing ram you already had to try n get the total memory of 6gb? if so i think that might have been your problem. your mobo kinda freaked out when it couldn't recognize all of the memory. my suggestion would be to take out all your sticks of ram. than install the 4gb dual channel set of ram in the right slots, than before turning the power on, reset your CMOS on your motherboard to clear everything and reset all bios setting. after that, power up. i hope this works, just 1 idea if im understanding correctly your issue. now your PC should start right up if there aren't anymore problems. if so, restart, and see if you can get into your bios now. if you can mess around with some settings to your mobos/CPU's liking.
best of luck.
i

I've reset the CMOS and have placed both sticks of new RAM in the right slots (both in a yellow slot each - the other slots being red).

The problem is, with the new sticks I can't get into BIOS because my keyboard refuses to work when the new sticks are installed.

I also can't get pass the Mobo screen which has options to enter BIOS setup/ Q Flash etc.

I was reading that the max memory for each slot on this mobo is 1gb but that doesnt make sense as it states a max of 8gb (4 slots) total.

Any other clues?

Make sure to turn the power switch off or unplug the power cord to the computer before removing or installing ram modules.

Have you tried with just 1 stick of the new ram? if not (remove power cord or turn off switch on power supply) install one stick of the new ram and if it will allow you to, go into the bios and setup the timing and voltage for the new ram save settings and reboot and see if you can make it into the OS with just the one stick of new ram if so then turn off your computer (remove power cord/turn off power supply switch) and install the second stick of ram and see if it will then allow you to load. If it fails with just one stick of ram again remove power from system and install just the other stick of new ram and see if it will allow you, you could have a stick of defective ram.

Last edited:
Most likely, you have not damaged anything. Some things that come to mind are:

- Remove all power before clearing cmos, clear it, then reapply power
- get into the bios, then set your memory volts to 1.5
- lose the 2x1gb, they won't play with any larger module sizes
- At any size, memory runs fastest with one module per channel
- Use 2x1gb, 2x2gb or 2x4gb, avoid 4x2gb or 4x anything

I use the same modules are you, but in triple channel mode (3x2gb) for i7.

any luck?
one more tiny suggestion that may be an issue, just double check your motherboard specs and make sure your CMOS jumper are on the right set of pins, it may be your not getting enough voltage in the first place to even get to the bios. also check/clear your memory/cmos jumper if your board allows you.
hope this might help.
i

Back