• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adobe h8's windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Craptacualr

Anyone had this problem? I cannot install adobe acrobat reader 7 on to my machine. It always fails by giving me the good old "this program has encountered an error and needs to be closed" error during the installation. I've tried every version of install file that I can find for reader 7 but they all give that same error. I mean I always knew I hated Acrobat for bieng a bloated POS program but now I hate it even more. Its not like I NEED it right now, but since so many freaking corporations decide to make bloated files using it I'm gonna run into a situation soon that requires it.

FWIW I'm running fully updated XPSP2 (yes, its actually a legit copy :rolleyes: ). I've also been doing this at stock settings just to see if maybe my OC was giving a little stability error somewhere despite the fact that its perfectly stable in all other apps, and it still errors OCed or not.

If any of you can suggest a good way to get reader 7 installed I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'm just gonna find some old driver disk with version 5 or 6 on it and try that. Would like 7 though just so I dont have it constantly bitching to me about upgrading :argue:

Tried redownloading the installation program? Or running it in compatibility mode? Although v7 is relatively new.

oh yeah, tried re-dling it. also tried in compatibility mode and some other strange mode from msconfig. sigh

May be because your system went downhill. Possibly became unstable. I hope not. Run Prime95 if that's the case.

Ran Prime95, ran memtest, sandra, 3dmark2003, played CS for 5 hours straight last night (yes, I'm an addict), and superpi 32m. All stable, no errors, stock or OCed. I know my system's limits :)

Craptacualr said:
Ran Prime95, ran memtest, sandra, 3dmark2003, played CS for 5 hours straight last night (yes, I'm an addict), and superpi 32m. All stable, no errors, stock or OCed. I know my system's limits :)

I said that, because there has been a rash of processor chip degrading problems.

That means that after you have been OC'ing, the processor suddenly is unstable at the frequency it was stable at, then thus required to lower the processor frequency, then next thing you know, it's now unstable at that frequency too. Then suddenly one day, it's unstable at stock!!!.

That problem, which I call it "processor chip atrophy syndrome", seems to occur most with Pentium 4 Northwoods, which thus was called "SNDS".

I just hope that phenomenon wasn't occuring.

Craptacualr said:
It always fails by giving me the good old "this program has encountered an error and needs to be closed" error during the installation.

That error message isn't from the Adobe Acrobat Reader installer.

That error message is from Windows XP, because Windows XP isn't happy about something the Adobe Acrobat Reader installer is launching.

Back