• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice? 12V drops to 10.8V and 5VSB jumps to 5.9V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdhunter

In detail, when I run Prime95 [or game], ABIT AGURU reports that the 5VSB jumps to 5.9V (Why?) and then the 12V dips to 10.8V (at which point, the computer will simply reset itself.) I tried a second 350W PS just for the hell of it, and the mobo wont even make it to Windows, just shut down. I also notice the DDRVdd levels fluctuate sometimes, then Prime will error out. This doesn't happen very often though.

I currently own a 400W RAIDMAX PM-s400, about 2 years old, that supplies the following current: +3.3V@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@15A, [email protected], [email protected] and +5VSB@ 2A.

I did notice, on one occasion, a smell coming from the PSU, but its ok now.

I have the following components installed:
ABIT AI7 w/Prescott 2.4GHz @ 3.6GHz [18x200] 1.535V
1GB DDR @ 160MHz [5:4 divider] 2-2-2-5 3.1V
eVGA 6800 Non-GT/Ultra
15KRPM IBM Ultrastar
10KRPM IBM Ultrastar
2 x 7200RPM Maxtor 160GB 8MB
2 x DVDR/DVD
ADAPTEC SCSI 29160 x 1
SoundBlaster Audigy
3 x 80mm LED fans
2 x 80mm Case fans
1 x 92mm Vantec Tornado

Now this is what I'd like to know:
1) What is the 5VSB and why is it going to such extreme voltage levels? I know its standby Voltage, but shouldn't it drop instead of raising?
2) As I do realize I need a power supply, what Amperage on what specific rails should I be most concerned with?
3) What specific components in my system is causing the most drain on the 12V rail, if at all possible for someone to determine?
4) Am I asking too many questions?

Thanks for the help~!

That's kind of weak for a PSU to power all that stuff.

I'd simply get a better PSU if you want to keep all that hardware running. Or see if you can mod it into a 2 PSU case and have 1 PSU for HDs, Mobo and Processor, and the other PSU for Fans, 6800, and maybe your CD-ROM drives.

amdhunter said:
Now this is what I'd like to know:
1) What is the 5VSB and why is it going to such extreme voltage levels? I know its standby Voltage, but shouldn't it drop instead of raising?
2) As I do realize I need a power supply, what Amperage on what specific rails should I be most concerned with?
3) What specific components in my system is causing the most drain on the 12V rail, if at all possible for someone to determine?

Use a real voltmeter before spending $50 on another PSU ;)

L337 M33P said:
Use a real voltmeter before spending $50 on another PSU ;)
My bro is stopping by to test it out in the middle of the week, but I am positive its the PSU. I am wondering how much power I should look for in certain rails, and just an indicator on why the 5VSB power rises so much. I just want to make sure the mobo is in ok shape.

Anyone familiar with MGE power supplies? I am looking into either this 600W or this 500W to replace my RAIDMAX.

Anyone know of a reliable PSU in the ~$55 shipped range? I did a lot of upgrading lately (bartered a lot of stuff and spent some cash) and can't afford much more. Thanks. I'll try to help myself and look through the forums now. =) But please I would like some opinions.

After reading the "How good is your particular PSU?" sticky, it seems that those MGE supplies are not up to snuff with their ratings. I am looking at some Fortrons now, and still looking for some advice for a nice cost/performance part. This thread was already at the top, so I hope no one minds the back to back post. :eh?:

edit: Fortrons seem to be really out of my price range... :(

That power supply has the same amp ratings as my 300W power supply!!!

That power supply is no better than a 300W power supply!!! Required to get a better power supply. :mad:

RJARRRPCGP said:
That power supply has the same amp ratings as my 300W power supply!!!

That power supply is no better than a 300W power supply!!! Required to get a better power supply. :mad:

LOL. I am looking for some high current Power Supplies now, from some of the more reliable brands. I guess I am gonna have to shell out a few more dollars on one. Better than melting my system.

One thing is, I don't doubt that the name brand PSUs are worth the money, but it seems that they are awfully high priced. Supply and demand I guess. Back to searching these forums...

The first time I looked inside an MGE PSU (probably 350-400W), I asked myself, "Where's the transformer?" It was that small.

larrymoencurly said:
The first time I looked inside an MGE PSU (probably 350-400W), I asked myself, "Where's the transformer?" It was that small.

HAHAH, I read your quote like 20x this morning in my searches. You single-handedly have made me 100% against an MGE power supply! Good Job! :p :p :p

Well, after looking around I've made a choice. I've been searching these forums for some time this morning and decided to get an Ultra XConnect.

Why? Let me explain.

In my local CompUSA they have the Antec True Power 550W and Ultra in stock. I can just go there right now and pick either item up and play with it. I have chosen the Ultra X-Connect. Cost will be about 112 dollars with transportation.

Now I know among the power users in this forum, these two supplies are not the first choice for people, but I cannot afford to run my system on this 400W timebomb any longer, and the design of the Ultra XConnect will work well with airflow in my case. Should it not meet my needs, I will return it for the Antec 550W. If that doesn't work, then I will go and order a high end Fortron from Newegg.

I will report later today on my results, you guys can rest assurred that I will stress the ***** out of the Ultra. See ya later.

Its a few hours now running the Ultra XConnect and I have to say I am very happy except for a couple of gripes.

1) The ATX connector does not 'snap' into the ATX connector on my motherboard. I will be removing the motherboard later tonight to install it correctly.

2) The rubber in the box (cabling) stinks. Literally, I am offended by the strong rubber odor that is emitted from the cables. I had to air the cables off for about 1/2 hour before the scent became faint. I may wipe them down with a gentle cleanser later.

3) The cables DO NOT BEND FOR YOUR LIFE, I have a hell of a time finding good positioning to install the cables. This gripe has more to do with having a mid-size ATX case though, but still annoying as hell.

That said, my voltages are now ROCK SOLID running Prime95 and DOOM at the same time, while defragmenting my 15K SCSI drive @ 3.6GHz. Also, the length of the cables are perfect for my ATX case. I have to say I am super impressed. I have yet to run Prime95 for a few hours to fully stress the CPU, but for the most part, I am very happy.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone with a similar system to mine. Just cover your nose when you open the box for the first time.

Back