• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice about case fan configuration with Noctua NH-D14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avan

Hello gentlemen!

I built my first PC ever, it was a very fun experience with lots of research and a few dumb mistakes from my part here and there, thank God inserting the 12V rail in the wrong way didn't fry the motherboard and CPU... Or pretty much everything. Now about fans! I got a Noctua D14 and a few Corsair fans. I have been reading about air flow, passive and negative pressure and general tips when it comes to fan setup. However, I could learn more if I got some feedback. Could you please check out my current setup?

PC Air Flow.jpg

I'm not sure if the top fan (just beside the Noctua) would be best as exhaust or intake. Oh and my case is a Corsair Carbide Spec 02.

Thanks for helping a novice!

Your airflow looks good Avan, I would set the top fan to exhaust. This would give you the desired slight positive pressure you're after.

Id go exhaust as well.

Intake may yield a couple degrees cooler as its direct fresh air, but, that borks the flow a bit.

If you do top exhaust, make it gentle or you can steal air from your heatsink. Think about where the upgoing air is coming from -- from a hot MB. Best is not to have an exhaust fan there.

If you must put on a top fan, consider an intake. It takes unheated outside air and places it in front of your heatsink.

Another thing you can do is to remove your PCIe covers.

A third thing you can do is to cut out your rear "grill" and do without your exhaust fan. This will make your setup even quieter. I started doing this 9 years ago and I love it.

Fourthly, once you have removed your "grill" (actually just perforated steel) you might put a third fan on your D14. It will entrain the air from your case.

Finally, see my review here: https://www.overclockers.com/noctua-nh-d14-redux-modern-fans-on-an-old-heatsink/). It recommends replacing your original fans with 2 NF-A14's.

Your airflow looks good Avan, I would set the top fan to exhaust. This would give you the desired slight positive pressure you're after.

^+1

Your airflow is looking like it's got very positive air pressure right now with 3 intake fans spread across the front and bottom, maybe a little too positive with hot air likely being trapped in the case and recirculated with only one exhaust fan.

Back