• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for new WC System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Razor2014

Registered
Hi, I had just ordered the Nepton 280L (the new version isn't out yet), but have decided to send it back and go custom. I'm going to be ordering the XSPC Raystorm, either the 750 or D5 AX240 (open to other rads if they fit). I know the D5 is a much better pump and for now I'm just going to be cooling the CPU, but I might be cooling my 690 also. So would you guys say spend the extra cash and get the D5 for future expansion?
My current rig in progress:
Case: CM Stryker
Mobo: Asus R4BE
CPU: i7-4960x
Ram: G.Skill 2133 16G
GPU: NVidia GTX 690
PSU: Antec HCP-1300
Will be adding a Samsung Pro SSD and a HDD.
Thanks!

Last edited:
The D5 is an excellent pump and has a long history, with that said there really isn't a better mainstream pump. Lots of options with a D5 from pump tops to mounts.

It looks like a person can only get a single D5 with the black nylon res and the clear acrylic has 2. Hmmm, in the long run 2 D5's might be better?

For high restriction 2 d5's is the best if not alot of restriction make sure to get the variable ones so you can turn them down.

Or could be used as redundancy for added security as well as running them at a lower speed as opposed to a single pump doing all the work at a high speed. ;)

I as well agree to go with the D5 kit than the weaker 750.

Or could be used as redundancy for added security as well as running them at a lower speed as opposed to a single pump doing all the work at a high speed. ;)

I as well agree to go with the D5 kit than the weaker 750.

I see the dual D5 kit has the new copper WB...I kind of like the older clear acrylic with the blue lights. ;)

I see the dual D5 kit has the new copper WB...I kind of like the older clear acrylic with the blue lights. ;)

That's fine but I steer away from acrylic with threaded holes. Acrylic is prone to cracking if too much pressure is used. I like metals or acetal. LEDs can be added in different areas of the case. You could buy the watercooling parts separately and maybe take a look at this WB since you like illuminated blocks.

That's fine but I steer away from acrylic with threaded holes. Acrylic is prone to cracking if too much pressure is used. I like metals or acetal. LEDs can be added in different areas of the case. You could buy the watercooling parts separately and maybe take a look at this WB since you like illuminated blocks.

Agreed, I like the acetal or copper block but I think there is an aluminum frame instead of the clear acrylic frame. That Swiftech is a nice block. So is the XSPC and Swiftech pretty close quality-wise or would you say one is better?

So is the XSPC and Swiftech pretty close quality-wise or would you say one is better?

Both have great price points, both light up and both have similar performance. It's up to you which one you'd like. Also if you check here, there are different designs and you can actually get a custom plate for your rig's theme if you will from performancepcs. Pretty cool if you ask me. :D

Both have great price points, both light up and both have similar performance. It's up to you which one you'd like. Also if you check here, there are different designs and you can actually get a custom plate for your rig's theme if you will from performancepcs. Pretty cool if you ask me. :D

Nice, I really like some of those blocks, thanks Jack. I have to check out their kits now and see what they have similar to XSPC's D5 (dual or single). :)

Coolant? We don't recommend coolants. Straight distilled water and silver coil/biocide and that's it.

Adding/using coolants is a waste of money and does more harm than good. Same goes with dyes. I'd steer clear of coolants and dyes.

You want color? Use colored tubing. ;)

Coolant? We don't recommend coolants. Straight distilled water and silver coil/biocide and that's it.

Adding/using coolants is a waste of money and does more harm than good. Same goes with dyes. I'd steer clear of coolants and dyes.

You want color? Use colored tubing. ;)

Had to ask. ;) I know distilled is probably the best thing to use but there are others who swear by their coolant and have had it in their systems for 2 years or more.

The people who have been using coolant for 2 + years, probably haven't torn their systems down in 2+ years. Most here, probably do a tear down at least once a year.

The people who have been using coolant for 2 + years, probably haven't torn their systems down in 2+ years. Most here, probably do a tear down at least once a year.

That's true because if there was a 10 year coolant, there wouldn't be tear downs for 10+ years, lol.

Back