• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice: Gigabyte AM3 mobos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Balamon

Registered
i'm building my system and the only part of my system that is non-negotiable is the MSI GTX 460.

Now i want to go the AMD route with a gigabyte am3 board, and since i won't need SLI and crossfire, i'm looking for feedback about the following options:

note: there will be OCing involved, nothing extreme though. and i will be upgrading to the bulldozers when they finally get released

GIGABYTE's MA790XT-UD4P

GIGABYTE 890FXA-UD5 (AM3)

not gigabyte, but my friend recommends it-
MSI 790FX-GD70

thanks!

:welcome: to OCF!

Both the 790FX boards are very good though I lean more toward the Gigabyte since it OC's as well and costs less. But if you're thinking of the next generation of CPUs I'd recommend the 890FX board. As we've all seen with the X6 introduction, BIOS's for new CPU are re-written from the top down, meaning the newest boards get the new BIOS first. This is pretty typical for board manufacturers so the 890FX board's BIOS would be higher on the manufacturer's priority list than the 790FX boards. Just something to consider. :)

PS
Even though you don't need Crossfire support the boards with Crossfire will tend to overclock better since they usually have better components. The Gigabyte 790X boards are an exception. They seem to have the same (or very close to the same) quality as their FX boards ...

Back