• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on 1st WC Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey guys, parts started to arrive and trying to figure out how to put it all together. Some questions:

1. First time looking at a compression fitting. The end that fits into the tubing seems to match the ID of the tube exactly at first, and then starts to widen out the further in. When I attach the tubing, should I force it all the way through to the end of the fitting? Or stop once I start to encounter resistance?

2. Is flushing the radiators and water blocks with vinegar really necessary, or will distilled water just do?

3. How exactly do I fill the loop initially? I'm using a T-line and read that the pump needs to be filled with water first before being turned on, or else it'll short or something. Do I pour water in using a funnel, wait for the pump to fill, turn the pump on, and then continue pouring water? Should the pump be on low-speed when I'm filling so it doesn't pump water faster than I can fill it?

Thanks again, sorry if some of the questions seem kinda dumb or if I'm worrying about non-issues.

1. i've never used them but my mechanical side says remove the compression ring, put it on the tubing. push the tubing onto the body all the way then tight the ring down. i believe you can get hand tight, but not sure if you need to wrench it.

2. for the rad use hot soapy water. for today's rads using water based flux you can use hot soapy water for cleaning it out. no vinegar needed. i would just use hot tap water at first then after a couple of shakes (plug the to ends of the rad with your fingers and shake!) then rinse 4 or so times with distilled water.
take apart the cpu block to check for debris and other crap that might be in there and do the same with hot soapy water as the rad.

3. build the loop so that the t-line feeds the pump intake. once the whole loop is put together fill the t line until it gets close to overflowing. turn the pump to the lowest setting and 'bump it' by turning the power onto the pump and let it suck the water down the t-line. refill and repeat.

note that you should only be turning on the pump, not the pc. i assume you know how to jump the psu so it runs without the mobo?

note that you should only be turning on the pump, not the pc. i assume you know how to jump the psu so it runs without the mobo?

I figured it was just disconnecting everything from the PSU except for the pump, or is there something else I'm missing? Also, would that mean the pump stays running even when the PC is off?

Thanks for clarifying.

Yep, you do disconnect everything except the pump. But you need to jumper the 24 pin connector to make the PSU turn on. Unplug PSU from the wall, turn off PSU switch. Jump the green and any black wire and leave the wire in. Plug PSU in, turn switch on, pump will start. Do NOT run the pump dry, ceramic bearings need water to cool them. Then you just use the PSU switch to turn the pump off/on to bump the pump as you fill.

Hey guys, still waiting on MountainMods to ship my case. Trying to see what I'm missing still and not sure how to close off my T-line. Is there a special plug or fitting for it you guys can recommend?

Also, is it true that I shouldn't move the PC around much as it could dislodge something and start a leak? Been reading posts about how that happens and wondering if I should build my PC right at my desk to avoid moving it.

Naa, I moved mine. gently picking up a box and gently carrying it from one place to another is not a problem.
Plug it with anything you feel fits.
Ohh, You seen this post I wrote to help with the 'What the heck to I do when the parts arrive'?
Anyway here is the link.......
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=312743 What to do once all the stuff is in the door

no attention to the fools talking about teflon tape, please, or silicon....OMG.

Last edited:
Back