• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on a gaming rig.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So my finalized list goes

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570k Quad-Core Processor (from microcenter)

Memory: AMD Memory Performance Edition Kit 8 Dual Channel kit DDR3 1600

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Optical: LG GH22NS90B

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D

Power: Corsair Builder Series CX600

SSD: Crucial M4 128GB

Monitor: AOC 16:9 20" Refurb 60Hz. (Trying to not spend a whole lot for the monitor)

To a total of a little over 1,300 USD.

Should I upgrade the monitor or downgrade the GPU then?

I guess it depends on how long you plan to live with the system as is.
If you think you might get a higher resolution/sized monitor in the near future, then I'd stick with what you have selected. Otherwise, you could probably downgrade the GPU a bit, save some money, and push that monitor just as well and intensely.
I just feel there needs to be a balance between parts when its a system built to stay as is for a long time.

Agreed. You have an old monitor, if you jump on a bigger monitor later then you'll be happy with the GPU you chose.

The 7950 is more than you need. Now? Future?

Within your budget? get it.

Well I might do both. I'm not addicted to graphics. Medium-high is good for me. I could probably get a step down GPU and a step up monitor. What would be a good monitor and a slightly lower GPU?

You can probably save a good $70-90 on the case as well and put that towards the monitor. You'll be looking at the screen a lot more than the case. ;)

Drop to a 500W or go up to 700, 600 is that awkward in-between range which is overkill for one card but not enough for two.

Much cheaper HDDs as well.

Also as a replacement for the Obsidian 650D case, is the Cooler Master Scout 2 good? Because it's a mostly air cooled case, but I want to try watercooling probably eventually.

Back