• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on DDR3-2133/2400 memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

I’m looking at trying out the x79 system which uses DDR3. I have sold off my previous collection and now need advice again :)
The main repository of DDR1-DDR3 memory IC’s info is now defunked. ;-( I’m looking to purchase 4-8 sticks of G.Skill/Teamgroup/Corsair memory. Advice on purchase??

Thanks

I forgot to also mention that our link - when searching for ddr3 memory IC’s - link is dead :-( This helps tremendously as many of the oc talk is about having xx ic and doing this to it so that it does xxx.
This would be the same as Womack’s memory (ddr4) getting lost. He has a review of the G.Skill 3200 gtz (Samsung B die IC’s) that will do 4000 @ 16-16-16. I have now tested the same sticks on a i7-5820/5930 (R5E mb) set to 3400 @ 10-10-10-16 1T. This was good for all the quick stuff but failed superpi 32m so I backed off for a stable 11-11-11-20 1T.

Last edited:
I forgot to also mention that our link - when searching for ddr3 memory IC’s - link is dead :-( This helps tremendously as many of the oc talk is about having xx ic and doing this to it so that it does xxx.
This would be the same as Womack’s memory (ddr4) getting lost. He has a review of the G.Skill 3200 gtz (Samsung B die IC’s) that will do 4000 @ 16-16-16. I have now tested the same sticks on a i7-5820/5930 (R5E mb) set to 3400 @ 10-10-10-16 1T. This was good for all the quick stuff but failed superpi 32m so I backed off for a stable 11-11-11-20 1T.

Looks like sometimes frontpage reviews are missing. Forum threads/reviews should work. There were some forum issues in the past and I was correcting many links.
Anyway, if you need DDR3 then you can have a problem. Most DDR3 are now with different IC than in the past. You can try to get TridentX 1866 CL8, 2133 CL9, 2400 CL9/CL10. All of them should be good for OC and in the past, all were using Samsung IC. Hynix M was more popular in late DDR3 kits and was overclocking well but not at so tight timings. As I said, all these low CL kits can be hard to get nowadays. Maybe just check what is available and then make research about possible IC. Most stores can have mixed revisions/product numbers and won't guarantee IC. Used kits give you a better chance.

What reviews are missing, Bart?

@MaddMutt - what are you saying is missing? Can you be more descriptive please? We did a rollback and lost about a week's worth of posts, but that's about it. Everything else int he past should be here in the forums AND on the front page.

It looks like links for some old front-page reviews are wrong. For example, the ADATA DDR3-2600 review was under this link:
https://www.overclockers.com/adata-16gb-xpg-ddr32600-c11-review/
and now I see it's under this link
https://www.overclockers.com/adata-xpg-16gb-ddr3-2600-cl11-memory-review/

I was correcting some links in the past too as forum members noticed wrong links while browsing reviews. Maybe it's a matter of WordPress updates or something else. I'm not sure.

Edit:
I see that all DDR4 reviews are correct so it affected only some older DDR3 reviews.

Ok, so noting is actually missing, but the URL changed...right?

If you have some time, please PM me a couple of examples (previous URL and new URL) so we can check it out. I don't have the 'original' URL as you do to compare.

Last edited:
Correct. Nothing is missing from our side. It's links to outside URL's - like the DDR1-DDR3 IC's data base that is no long active. MR. Scott has included a new link :plus1:
With the x79 platform (quad channel) do you - Limit the memory to 4 x 2gb, 4gb, or 8gb memory sticks to help the IMC and OC better?? Do you start with DDR3-2400 CL 11-11 and go lower speed lower timings? OR DDR3-2000 CL 9-9 and go higher speed higher timings? What speed should I focus on with a Asus RIVE MB as the QVL is very limited above 1866?

SB has a pretty limited IMC.
I personally would buy the fastest good sticks I could afford and tweak the timings tighter at a lesser speed.
Example: Hypers @ CAS6 @ 1866-2133

For the X79 platform I'd look for a Samsung based IC 4x4GB kit... You could also put together two identical 2x4GB kits.

The highest bin Samsung kits came out at 2400 9-11-11-31 or 2600/2666 10-12-12-31. You want to get the double sided 4GB sticks because later as more time passed with DDR3 they also released single-sided kits (smooth PCB on one side) as newer higher density IC became available on the market (8GB sticks).

For 2GB sticks I'd look for good bins of PSC IC or Elpida IC: BBSE and Hyper.

For reference:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?283666-Figuring-out-G-Skill-s-SNs

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68811

Here is an example of a G.Skill kit with Samsung IC 4x4GB doubled sided:

s-l1600.jpg

If the sale of the x79 MB goes through - I'll ask if I can buy back the memory I sold another member ~ 3yrs ago. I had a 3 x Dominator GT 2000 @ 8-8-8 that where Hypers + there's several G.Skill Trident 2400 that are for sale on e-bay.

I guess you can make better results using Samsung IC or PSC but it highly depends on the motherboard. Hypers needed high voltages and specific motherboards to shine. The latest motherboards and BIOS releases were not optimized for Hypers as the market already moved to higher density IC. PSC was good till the end and actually was overclocking higher.

Just to be on the safe side, I’ve picked up 2x2gb ddr3-2000 9-9-9-27 Elpida BBSE and 2x2gb ddr3-2133 9-10-9-24 PSC. With SB-E & IVB-E do I need to relearn the Batch# system again?

Back