• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on my first water cooling build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ciryk

Hey all!

Been building systems for a while now and it would be awesome to build my first custom water cooling build.

I'm running the following hardware:
  • i7 6700k
  • Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
  • Asus 980 Ti Strix OC
  • Corsair Vengeance 16Gb RAM
  • Samsung 970 Pro Nvme
  • Corsair AX860
  • Corsair 750 Obsidian

And I made up this list to cool this baby:
  • EK-VGA Supremacy - Acetal (GPU BLOCK)
  • EK-Supremacy EVO - Acetal (CPU BLOCK)
  • EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (Reservoir Inc. Pump)
  • EK-CoolStream PE 360 (Radiator)
  • EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 15,9/9,5mm (Tubing)
  • EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm - Red (Fitting)
  • EK-CryoFuel Clear Premix (Coolants)

I would add Corsair 120SP static pressure fans to the radiator.

Would these parts be compatible? And suffice for my system? Was doubting about the radiator size but since they recommend 120mm per component + headroom for OC.

Is the pump overkill for this cooling setup? Or is more flow always better.

As an extra, how much tubing do I need for such a large case, and how much coolant? (Appr.)

thats a pretty solid parts list.
those parts should be fine. it looks like everything matches up.
your rad choice will be plenty for your cpu and gpu. the pe series is very good.
your pump choice is as solid as they get. if space is a concern go with the ddc version of that pump/res. you want to try and stay right around 1gph to 1.5gph. anything more is wasted flow(doesnt help temps) and anything less makes for a very difficult fill/bleed process.
the best way to figure your tubing is to draw out a diagram and measure your runs once youve figured out where everything is going in your case. i always get a couple extra feet just to be sure.
its hard to say how much coolant youll need. i mix up a gal at a time and use a 1/2 gallon per fill. so i would say shoot for a 1/2gal or more(just in case).

a couple of suggestions. i would check out the ek thermosphere or a block thats built like it. that block will make a big difference in how your tubing will run and it will be a better suited block for larger dies.
this is a must. if your going with compression fittings. grab a pair of mechanix type gloves. i got a $5 pair from walmart and they outperform my mechanix gloves! hand tightening compression fittings is tough on the skin!

heres a list of universal blocks to check out. its an old list but gpu blocks havent changed much.
https://www.xtremerigs.net/2014/11/18/2014-universal-gpu-block-roundup/12/

Max is right about getting a few extra fittings. Don't forget about angled fittings as they do help and clean up the loop and you don't want too much resistance but in most cases, it will be fine.

You might want to go with PrimoChill Advanced LRT tubing with your own choice of clear or color. I think either or should be fine.

The res might be a tad small for your full size case but that is up to you if you want to go up one more in size as I believe you can buy the cylinder separately and make the switch. Always best to see other custom cooling builds to see what fits and what doesn't and how it would look.

The fans are fine but some people have complained about the noise those Corsair fans can make. EK does make some good rad fans (EK Vardar F3-120) as well as some RGB fans (EK Vardar EVO 120 RGB if your MB supports an RGB header to control their RGB LEDs) as well for a bit more but other than that, the listing looks good here as well.

Thanks for the advice already!
I will have a look for space if I have enough, but should be ok as 750D is a pretty big case.

I had a look at the thermosphere but I'm worried it won't fit my GPU, since its an non reference 980Ti.

I would also attach heatsinks to the vram&vrms.

Thanks for the angled fitting tip, I'll have a look that things how it's positioned.

Well the Corsair fans I already have, so I'm always able to switch them later on.

Is the primochill advanced LRT a different kind of tubing? Or just more resistance to failure?

Regards,
Ciryk

Thanks for the advice already!
I will have a look for space if I have enough, but should be ok as 750D is a pretty big case.

I had a look at the thermosphere but I'm worried it won't fit my GPU, since its an non reference 980Ti.

I would also attach heatsinks to the vram&vrms.

Thanks for the angled fitting tip, I'll have a look that things how it's positioned.

Well the Corsair fans I already have, so I'm always able to switch them later on.

Is the primochill advanced LRT a different kind of tubing? Or just more resistance to failure?

Regards,
Ciryk

yep your right it doesnt look like it will work! sry man! the vga supremacy is a solid block. ive always worried that a universal block wouldnt do a good enough job of keeping the mem and vrms cool enough. i went with the swiftech mcw82/white for my back up rigs 580gtx but i havent been able to run it yet. tbh i only bought it because it is white and it was filthy @ only $25 haha
back on track lol. the supremacy is a sweet block in both iterations. as long as you have good airflow youll be golden.
definitely check out some 90s and 45 fittings. they can make your life much easier.
the lrt tubing is most commonly known for its variety of colors and its reliability. its top notch stuff. not that theres anything wrong with the ek tubing.
you may also want to check out a shut off/ball valve that you can use to drain your loop from. there are a ton to choose from. they can be hidden really easily so you dont have to match it up to the rest of your fittings. heres one from alphacool(search for ball valve).

http://www.performance-pcs.com/feat...szapfen-2-way-ball-valve-g1-4-deep-black.html

Back