• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on my next system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KrymsonKyng

Registered
I am looking to get advice on building my next system rig. I have experience assembling the final product, but I would like some assistance with getting some information on the best options I can put into it.

What I am looking for in a system:

1. This will primarily be a gaming rig. I am looking to play newer titles such as Far Cry 4 and larger scale games such as Crusader Kings 2 and the newer Total War games such Rome 2 Total War. There will also be older games such as World of Warcraft, Killing Floor, and minor graphics games such as Binding of Isaac Rebirth, Terraria, and Edge of Space

2. I would like the ability to host games for several of the games listed above, such as Crusader Kings 2, Killing Floor (and its sequel when that comes out).

3. This will double as a workstation. While the system will primarily be used for gaming, I would like the ability to double it as a workstation. For this I will need to run at least one virtual machine (virtualbox being the program), phone software such as PowerAgent, the Office Suite, and multiple instances of Browsers at once, such as Google Chrome and IE with at least 4 tabs each, smoothly and with as little delay as possible. It will also be running a Remote Desktop through VPN as well as all the listed programs.

4. I will be looking to run 2 monitors right off the bat, both with HDMI support, as well as VGA and DVI. I would like to have the capability of running 3 monitors at a later date, but 2 will be mandatory to start with.

5. The components I am looking for will be the Tower and the internal components. External components such as monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc will already be available, so the cost is purely for the Tower and internals.

6. Last but not least, I am looking for all this for around a $1300 budget, and no more than $1600

Any advice would be awesome, thank you!

I should be able to get away with just 16gb of RAM. I will check out these options, thank you!

I should be able to get away with just 16gb of RAM. I will check out these options, thank you!

I would look at something like http://pcpartpicker.com/p/q6gqVn (I excluded a copy of Windows....)

You can save money by going with a 4790k+DDR3, but I guessed a hexa-core can be very useful in a workstation. Don't know very well those software, so not 100% sure about this.

If you live near a Microcenter, you can get some nice bundles and save more.

I really think that build is spending money to spend money, and an i5 would be more than enough. I run many more things than he listed, simultaneously, and my system copes just fine.

I really think that build is spending money to spend money, and an i5 would be more than enough. I run many more things than he listed, simultaneously, and my system copes just fine.

i5 and workstation usually don't go together. And, as I said, a 4790k (or a low-end Xeon) could be enough. But, maybe, I'm missing something :)

i5 and workstation usually don't go together.

That statement doesn't even make sense.

An i5 is more than enough for the workload described. The machine in my sig does all that the OP mentioned (and more, with the exception of PowerAgent, whatever that is) without issue. More RAM is more important for VMs than a better processor, it's unlikely that VMs will simultaneously be running under full load that would cause your processor to be a bottleneck.

You can build a machine to do what you want for half of what your budget allows. Or, you can spend your full budget and have more machine than you would every really use. A good middle ground might be to invest in a better monitor, and bump up your GPU to compensate for a higher resolution.

PowerAgent is our phone software, nothing high load. I agree with everything you said.

That statement doesn't even make sense.

An i5 is more than enough for the workload described. The machine in my sig does all that the OP mentioned (and more, with the exception of PowerAgent, whatever that is) without issue. More RAM is more important for VMs than a better processor, it's unlikely that VMs will simultaneously be running under full load that would cause your processor to be a bottleneck.

You can build a machine to do what you want for half of what your budget allows. Or, you can spend your full budget and have more machine than you would every really use. A good middle ground might be to invest in a better monitor, and bump up your GPU to compensate for a higher resolution.

I guess there was a terminology misunderstanding. Op talked about a workstation, so I assumed that some of those stuff was CPU demanding.

If you're telling me they aren't, then we are not talking about what I consider a workstation.

I am looking for possible expansions in the future as well, would this be able to support that?

Just to be sure, KK. Any of your applications is particularly CPU demanding?

Because I know very well how to make a component of the Office Suite hungry....

Thank you! And as for the programs for the work side, nothing is incredibly demanding on its own, its just the number of applications running at a time that make it a little taxing.

The Xeon I picked has 4 cores and 8 threads, it'll handle multiple programs very well :)

can save some extra money reusing anything you might have. but this seems like it would fit the bill pretty well.
b3d2e61d938b8d4e450b1037aff91fca.png

Back