• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on my next system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Probably won't go SLi. No real reason to with today's graphics cards.

He can get a Seasonic SSR/G-550 for the price of that CX750 Corsair, which is a pig of a PSU. Is he planning to go SLI? I don't remember reading that.

pig of a psu huh. you truely are the oc NOOB.
i was just tossing it in as there were no specifics given at the time weather it was single or dual gpu so i threw that in there as middle ground.

and yes seasonic psu's are very nice. but remember seasonic makes alot of corsair's psu's.

i was just tossing it in as there were no specifics given at the time weather it was single or dual gpu so i threw that in there as middle ground.

and yes seasonic psu's are very nice. but remember seasonic makes alot of corsair's psu's.

even WITH SLI (970), you're still over by about 80% with that cx750... How is that "middle ground" at all?

They also dont make the CX750...

even WITH SLI (970), you're still over by about 80% with that cx750... How is that "middle ground" at all?

wow someone can math. 80%? lmao.
so he only needs a 150w psu?
its about 200w more than hed need for sli. how is that overkill?
and i didnt say that psu was made my seasonic specifically, but they only use quality manufacturers for their psu's.
but hey he doesnt need tht much so your jab at me was a pointless " i know everything" jab just like ocnoob took. i was just trying to help the guy lol

Sigh.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. I'll give you a chance to look how much of a psu he actually needs. (Hint, it's not even close to 500w, much less 750w....).

Also, percentages. I recommend you learn how they work. If someone needs 400w, and you get them 750w, that's 87.5% excess, you don't go backwards....

Also I don't need to "know it all" to know you're talking out your butt and throwing random numbers out without any cognizance of actual requirements... then you insult ocnoob when you're the one that's being "noobish" here? Seems kinda jacked up.

Bob, I thought you meant 80% of 750W also. Word it better next time.

Yes, they make a CX750 and a CX750M. I just saw them at Canada Computers day before yesterday so I assure you they exist.

Am I? The CX series has pretty bad ripple and it's not good quality. I've had 2 of them roll over and die for no reason in systems I've built for people. Your offensive comment is unwarranted and not appreciated. How can you say that any bronze rated rock bottom entry level PSU is a great PSU? None of them are great. CX series is pretty rock bottom for bronze PSUs

Besides, what is the point of suggesting a bronze 750 when he can get a Gold 550 for the same price? And he only needs like 400W to run the system? Not just a gold 550 but a high quality gold 550 with a good track record. Ask around. Corsair CS, RM, CX and TX, but CX specifically like to roll over and die before their time. Seasonic may make a lot of Corsair PSUs but they don't make CX.

Ocnoob I meant that Seasonic don't make cx series haha.

Atm - yeah, got work stuff in my head, I could see how it can appear the other way. Still a silly response to that though.

Ocnoob I meant that Seasonic don't make cx series haha.

Atm - yeah, got work stuff in my head, I could see how it can appear the other way. Still a silly response to that though.

Corsair doesn't make ANYTHING. It's all rebranded and farmed out. They don't make ALC's they don't make RAM chips they don't make sleeved cables they don't make PSUs etc etc.

Last edited:
Yes, they make a CX750 and a CX750M. I just saw them at Canada Computers day before yesterday so I assure you they exist.

Am I? The CX series has pretty bad ripple and it's not good quality. I've had 2 of them roll over and die for no reason in systems I've built for people. Your offensive comment is unwarranted and not appreciated. How can you say that any bronze rated rock bottom entry level PSU is a great PSU? None of them are great. CX series is pretty rock bottom for bronze PSUs

Besides, what is the point of suggesting a bronze 750 when he can get a Gold 550 for the same price? And he only needs like 400W to run the system? Not just a gold 550 but a high quality gold 550 with a good track record. Ask around. Corsair CS, RM, CX and TX, but CX specifically like to roll over and die before their time. Seasonic may make a lot of Corsair PSUs but they don't make CX.

il have to say it was user error, i cant find a single review that said the cx series had bad ripple, they all have said that it was low.

the 750 bronze vs 550 gold has been a non issue since i already admitted i just tossed the higher psu in there for any possible future sli and weve already established that hes not going to so no more reason to rant buddy. he could even re-use a psu he has.

So I was wondering, for the build on http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qFcN99 in regards to the Intel Xeon E3-1231, is there much difference between that and something like the i5 4690k? I am not very familiar with intel chips, having been an AMD user before, so I thought I would take this chance to learn a bit more as well. Thank you!

That Xeon is similar to the i7, but it has no onboard GPU.
You have to have a dedicated graphics card to use it.
Also, the Xeon is a locked multiplier CPU.

Other than that you won't notice any difference from that to an i7.

Awesome, thank you! Hopefully I should be able to get some funds up and get everything finalized. I will keep you all posted once I have a final product!

Okay, so finally after tax times I have been doing some playing around with some builds to go with.

Just for fun I designed the following, let me know what you all think!

Case: THERMALTAKE Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 VN300M1W2N Full Tower Case(Black) / VN300M1W2N /

MOBO: Gigabyte Black Edition LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboards GA-Z97X-UD5H-B​K

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor 4.0GHz 5.0GT/s 8MB LGA 1150 CPU, Retail (BX80646I74790​K)

COOLING: Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60

PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX850)

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Super Clocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C11 Memory Kit (CMY16GX3M2A24​00C11A)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM​)

I have used similar models of CPU coolers before and have had good success, but those were all lower end procs. Any suggestions on coolers?

Back