• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice wanted for front page article

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Hi guys,

I was thinking of doing a bit of a review/comparo of an intel motherboard, using my Abit IC7 v1.0 in the comparo.

Mine is the IC7 (non "-G", or Max-X).

What would be a good motherboard to work with, to compare against this board?

When I went looking for a mobo to build the intel rig, I was suggested to look at this series, and the Asus P4P800. Now, the Asus is a i865 chipset, where the Abit I have is an i875.

But the Asus is highly rated, and supposedly overclocks like a banshee. Would it be a fair comparo, or apples and oranges with the differing chipsets?

The P4C800 is pushing $200, and I'm at a point right now (with both my wife and I out of work) where I'd be a bit, timid perhaps, to push things too hard, where they're not mine (I'd have to return the board after testing/reviewing), and can't afford to replace a $200 board.

Any suggestions for a comparable board, that overclocks well, that's closer to the $100-125 range, would be appreciated. (that's one reason I was thinking of the P4P800...it fit both of the last two criteria)

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Back