• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After 2 years, I finally OC'd my system...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabber359

I've just spent the past week following the guides, looking up past threads and testing my components (always finishing late at night. Right now it's 3:30am). To be honest, I'm kinda disappointed with the result, but that was due to my own short-sightedness (memory) when I first put together my system. Anyhow, these are the results:

2 weeks ago I managed to (finally) get a second 6600GT (€30,-). I've got a Zalman 900Cu LED on one and getting another next week. Temps dropped from 43C (load) to 31C (load) on the first card.

3DMark03 Test 1: 1x card, 81.95 drivers

3DMark03 Test 2: 2x card, 81.95 drivers

3DMark03 Test 3: 2x card, 93.81 drivers

3DMark06 Test 1: 1x card, 81.95 drivers

3DMark06 Test 2: 2x card, 93.81 drivers

Ok now for the OC results:

Mem: 2-3-3-6, 1T, Haven't been able to push it further then [email protected]
Max HTT is 1125
Max FSB is 305
CPU reached a max [email protected] during testing (BIOS won't let me go further with the voltage), but I have had to keep it at 2.4GHz due to limitations
166 // 5/6 Divider (I hate dividers :p)
Temps never broke 30C. I'd bloody hope so too, with 2x80mm fans on the front, 1x side 80mm fan, 2x rear 80mm fans, XP120 and a 120mm Panaflo blowing down on it :beer:

3DMark03:

3DMark06:

Now I have a few questions. Since my mem is holding me back, I was thinking of replacing it. No, not with a 2x1GB kit. I really do not want to spend $270 on a new set. I regret spending 270 Euro on my current mem, when really I should have gotten something with a higher rated speed. As they say, hindsight is 20/20. I've been going through the Classifieds and I've seen 1 or 2nice sticks (for example 'Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25PT 1GB Kit DDR550 XMS4400 Memory w/Platinum'). Would replacing it be worth it?

Also, the testing I did will influence my choice of processor to buy. Ie, Opteron 165, 170 or 175 (9x, 10 or 11x Multi). Right now, the 170 is looking like the best choice. According to the A64 Calc, I could OC it from 2.0 to 2.7, compared to 2.4 with the 165. Again, everything points to my mem being the deciding factor here. With mem that's faster, I might even be able to hit 3.0. Who knows. It'd sure be fun to try.

So, if anyone has any suggestions, then please, be my guest. I got no response on the Memory forums when I was testing, so that sucked. Hoping someone might come with some good advice :) Thanks.

Last edited:
If you're interested, take a look at the link in my profile on my overclock with my 6600GT if you want to see how your's should overclock.

As for the CPU, 2.6 is not a bad OC for the Winchesters.

ps2cho said:
If you're interested, take a look at the link in my profile on my overclock with my 6600GT if you want to see how your's should overclock.

As for the CPU, 2.6 is not a bad OC for the Winchesters.

Thanks, I'll give that a read tomorrow :) Oh and I edited my post, to avoid confusion. 2.65GHz was my max I got during testing, but had to keep the OC at 2.4GHz :( Sorry about that...

Well the wini's were not the best overclockers for s939. It really kicked off after they released venice

Back