• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aftermarket cooler for EVGA 8800 GT SSC (?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbigna

I just bought Crysis via Steam, and I think I'm having heat related hangs for the first time ever. I'm using the newest NVidia WHQL driver (195.62) which I upgraded after I began having the problem and nothing has changed. However, Crysis runs fairly smoothly with this card--up until it hangs. It can hang in as little as 10 min or as much as an hour. I've backed the video specs down a fair bit to no avail.

System in use:
C2D E6750 (2.66 GHz)
GA-P35-DS3L
4 GB OCZ DDR2 (800) RAM
EVGA 8800 GT SSC

WinXP Pro (32 bit)

Everything is running at stock (for now).

I haven't yet pulled the stock cooler to clean it (it doesn't look too dusty) or re-apply some better TIM nor have I tried using software to max out the fan speed.

My question is: Is there an inexpensive aftermarket cooler available for the 8800 GT that might alleviate the heat problem? Or, should I save the money and upgrade the card?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

hmm...i recently bought a Thermalright HR03 for my 4850.
the HR03 GT should fit the 8800GT :thup:
the Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo or Accelero S2 are also affordable/good choices.

So, how much are those coolers? And, do you think they would help my situation at all? Or, should I save the money that I might spend on a cooler and put it toward a new card?

Newegg sells them. So does a few other places. Google.................. you can do it.

They help a TON on keeping the GPU cool and much quiter. I had an HR-03 on my 8800GT

So, how much are those coolers? And, do you think they would help my situation at all? Or, should I save the money that I might spend on a cooler and put it toward a new card?

The S1 rev.2 is around $20-25 plus shipping online (I got mine for $30 i think at microcenter) and does a very good job cooling and quieting down my 8800GT. Mine would hit aroune 80c on the stock cooler with a good bit of noise once the fan spun up. now I don't see much over 40-45c gaming (maybe 50c stress testing) with a low cfm 120mm fan strapped to my S1.

The first thing you really need to do though is load up a temp monitoring system (I use riva tuner's hardware monitor) to see what the GPU temp is while running crysis to see if that is what is causing your problem.

Might want to try the $3 solution first... a can of compressed air and blow out the stock heatsink. Even if it doesnt *look* dusty, I can guarantee you will be surprised when you apply a lil' air pressure to it.

Might want to try the $3 solution first... a can of compressed air and blow out the stock heatsink. Even if it doesnt *look* dusty, I can guarantee you will be surprised when you apply a lil' air pressure to it.

I did that many times and the stock heatsink is just crap on an 8800GT. I never did run into over heating problems but even at 100% on the little hairdryer it still would get pretty warm (cleaned out and aftermarket TIM)

Back