• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Age Old Question, CPU Pins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

6ok some background. I bought some ram (2x8gig g.skill DDR3 $40) off a bud of mine because he had to "suddenly upgrade" his computer. I asked what happened and he told me he had bent the pins on the cpu and figured it was just instant garbage, he didn't try bending them back, but since he said he was going to throw it in the trash (literally) with the mobo i said i'd take it if he was going to do that so i got a free "broken" 8350 and a free GA990FXA UD3 Rev4 that i am fairly sure works.

i'm not sure why he had it out but he did and wasn't paying attention to the locator pins or blank areas in relation to the socket and the CPU and he pushed it in there so i am fairly confident that it had not been powered on since and the mobo is working. any way i got all of the pins bent back into good enough alignment to get it back into the socket with out causing any more damage but there is a missing pin. i was curious about the feasibility of replacing it. i solder frequently in old game console/arcade repair.

i was thinking of using a capacitor leg or some other component with a thin rigid leg and if i can get it "pre tinned" with a small blob of solder on the end of it i think i can replace it.
theres a "stump" left still to solder too, i would probably not use any flux as to no bridge the surrounding pins, what do you think?
that is if it doesn't work still without this missing pin, i haven't booted it up because i cant find any heatsinks in my spare crap yet.

if i can get it working it would be pretty awesome since all my stores of semi modern stuff got destroyed as i was hoping to wire my house for Ethernet and get a large enterprise switch and some one recommended using old hardware as a firewall.
^ oh that sentence sorry.

any way i will edit in a pic of what pin is missing on some stock pictures of AM3+ CPUs pin side in a minute

edit:

well that was fast
so interestingly enough the pissing pin is highlighted in the picture i found in google image search of AM3+ CPU Pins
58facbb1a307a_am3.png.989641a67e93cce6039f8e102f6b2940.png

its the only pin that's different from AM3 and AM3+, it might just be a dummy pin then that just prevents it from fully fitting into older sockets...

hmm...

i wish i could find datasheets like the intel cpu's have

Last edited:
Have you tried it like it is with the missing pin? No all the pins are necessarily used or essential.

Back