• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP will Neva die!@$% 7800GS benchies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulrider4ever

Ok ok...it will.but not yet ;)

Ok well I ordered my Leadtek 7800GS from Newegg. Came with a couple games which was cool, as of now its the only 1 I know of that actually has games bundled. Unfortunatly, they only have a 1 year warranty :bang head

So, I decided to take the card out for a few test runs on my air cooled Dothan.

3dMark06 = 3702

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=143726

3dMark05 = 7279

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1826554

3dMark03 = 16760

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4638412

3dMark01 = 32452

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8906519

Aquamark 3 = 97327

As for gaming, I just used the doom 3 timedemo demo1 @ 1024x768 High settigns.

For reference,

My old P4 3.3ghz w/ 6800NU = 76 fps
Then added Dothan @ 2.73 w/ 6800NU = 101 fps
Now Dothan + 7800GS (370/1500) = 120.1 fps

If it matters, I have high quality setting in the Nvidia performance options.

Last edited:
Nice numbers on the benchies. Are those at stock speeds? I have heard that there is alot of OC headroom on that card... you should push that thing!!

Cheers.

I have the card on my system right now... going to go out tonight and find a tapping kit at a local hardware store to see if I can tap some mounts on my Maze4 block. Maybe by the end of the night we'll see some pics and benchies of the first watercooled GS.

Yea, I have to reformat and install windows too, Alcohol 120% corrupted my system files. Blargh. But at least it will be good for benching.

chevro1et said:
Are those at stock speeds?
if you look at his 3dmark links those are at his oced speeds. with my rig in my sig and no other parts oced except for my 7800gs (at 467/1.38) i got 6633. here is my 3dmark link http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1813804 . in my opinion that isnt bad for my "old" non-oced cpu.

EDIT: im also using the forceware 81.98's that i got off of nvidias site. are there newer, better performing drivers out there?

Ok, I added/updated a few of the benchmarks. I am shocked that this card's memory can easily hit 1700mhz, and 1600 pretty stable. However, I can't seem to raise my core higher that 470 w/o having issues.

Me need Watercooling :)

I'm still at work, but at lunchtime I went and bought a 4-40 tapping kit and some extra long ramsinks (for the P-A chip). Will post project in this forum. Gonna practice on a spare s478 HS first. Give me 3 hours. 😁

soulrider4ever said:
Ok, I added/updated a few of the benchmarks. I am shocked that this card's memory can easily hit 1700mhz, and 1600 pretty stable. However, I can't seem to raise my core higher that 470 w/o having issues.

Me need Watercooling :)
what oc program are you using? i can only go up to 1.44ghz memory with coolbits and rivatuner does not seem to have the options i need to change my clocks........maybe the card is too new?

Maviryk said:
I'm still at work, but at lunchtime I went and bought a 4-40 tapping kit and some extra long ramsinks (for the P-A chip). Will post project in this forum. Gonna practice on a spare s478 HS first. Give me 3 hours. 😁

Right on. I love project threads... especially new and innovative sh*t like your proposed project Maviryk.

Oh, and to the OP: Wow, I didn't realize that there was THAT much OC headroom on that card... sweetness.

Cheers.

ok im seriously wondering whats going on, because at guru3d they did the review on the 7800gs and said that they overclocked it using rivatuner, however when i go into the low level systems settings button, i can only see agp settings and i cannot see anything about changing the clocks. i dont mind using coolbits, but with my memory slider only being able to go up to 1.44 (and my card handles that easily), im in a bit of a rough spot.

I used systools.

How lame to make the best AGP card on the market, and not make it compatible with any aftermarket coolers...

blitzkrieg1110 said:
ok im seriously wondering whats going on, because at guru3d they did the review on the 7800gs and said that they overclocked it using rivatuner, however when i go into the low level systems settings button, i can only see agp settings and i cannot see anything about changing the clocks. i dont mind using coolbits, but with my memory slider only being able to go up to 1.44 (and my card handles that easily), im in a bit of a rough spot.

In their forums they explain how to do it.

Open RivaTuner.cfg ( You can find this file in RT's folder) with notepad.exe.

In [GPU_10DE] section, you will see " NV47 = 90h-9Fh" , add " , F5h" at the end of this line . Then it will look like :" NV47 = 90h-9Fh ,F5h".

Works great for me. I also have a 7800GS...the XFX OC'ed one. I love it.

thezfunk said:
In their forums they explain how to do it.

Open RivaTuner.cfg ( You can find this file in RT's folder) with notepad.exe.

In [GPU_10DE] section, you will see " NV47 = 90h-9Fh" , add " , F5h" at the end of this line . Then it will look like :" NV47 = 90h-9Fh ,F5h".

Works great for me. I also have a 7800GS...the XFX OC'ed one. I love it.
ok, sweet man thanks. i wonder why they didnt put that in the review lol :shrug:

Hey guys, I'm gonna need your help. I'm taking my card straight to watercooling and overclocking.

What I need from you:

Ambient case temp, please use an external thermometer, MBMs are notoriously inaccurate. I need to know the temp of the air that entering your 7800gs.

Stock Idle/Load Temp (check ambient again)
O/C Idle Load Temp (check ambient again)
Stock/OC clock
Stock/OC 3dMark05 Score (Nvidia Performance Settings on High Quality, 1024x768 Resolution)

Your drivers should be OEM Disc, but I don't think there are any other drivers that support the 7800GS anyhow.

I'm not sure if my GS will be CPU limited or not, my PSU is in for an RMA and my CPU+RAM OCs are turned off.

Thanks for your help. I'll probably have my cooling bled (with the GS in the loop), fresh XP installed and updated, and benchmarks around 10pm est, if all goes well.

Back