• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP will Neva die!@$% 7800GS benchies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, this should be very interesting to see these results. I know from my system with just decent air cooling that it seems to oc like mad, i cant imagine what it will be like with water and all of those copper heatsinks lol. Now all i need to do is change my rivatuner when i get home from work tonight and keep working on my memory. Also, my core seems to be stuck around 470 as well as soulriders card but that mem just flys!

Last edited:
I just ordered a 7800gs. Is there a voltmod needed to reach the higher clockrates?

Think i would be severly cpu bottlenecked if i got this card? Because im not in a position to buy a new rig but maybe a card is more possible. But if i am bottlenecked than is it still true that it will raise my low-end FPS in games, but may not increase the high-end ones? System in sig.

*EDIT* Holy moly! I didnt realize they were as much as a 7800GT, maybe i will try to find a cheaper 6800GS, idk.

Last edited:
Jacobman said:
Think i would be severly cpu bottlenecked if i got this card? Because im not in a position to buy a new rig but maybe a card is more possible. But if i am bottlenecked than is it still true that it will raise my low-end FPS in games, but may not increase the high-end ones? System in sig.
The card definitely wouldn't be able to run at its full potential on your system, but I think you'll definitely notice an improvement from your 9800XT. The limiting factor on Socket A systems is memory bandwidth. Since you appear to have a relatively high FSB and your memory runs in dual channel, you're in much better shape than other socket A users. For instance, when I upgraded from a Radeon 8500 to a GeForce 6800GT on my socket A system, which was running 172x13.5, the gaming performance wasn't what I expected. When I got my socket 939 system, performance was MUCH better, even when overall CPU clock was lower than my OC'd socket A system.

Well, i just messed with my oc again and got my card to 470/1.55ghz! With these clock speeds 3dmark05 ran exceptional with zero artifacts. I managed to get a score of 6867 with these clocks: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1830230 I really do want to break 7k but im a little afraid to oc the graphics card any further lol, im already 95mhz above on the core and 350mhz higher than stock on my memory! I'm loving this cards capabilities and i think it will last me a good amount of time before i finally have to buck up and get pci-express :p .

I'm still putting everything together, just took apart my Storm to clean it out... will prolly another few hours until I can bench.

That core should be able to hit closer to 500mhz. with a thermal stasis hsf on a 6800u it tops out at 475-480 so i would think it should be able to go higher. i read that the stock cooling for these cards has been improved.

Doesn't look like that link is working...I have options in bios to up the volts from 1.5 to 1.8, would that be the same thing?

blitzkrieg1110 said:
Well, i just messed with my oc again and got my card to 470/1.55ghz! With these clock speeds 3dmark05 ran exceptional with zero artifacts. I managed to get a score of 6867 with these clocks: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1830230 I really do want to break 7k but im a little afraid to oc the graphics card any further lol, im already 95mhz above on the core and 350mhz higher than stock on my memory! I'm loving this cards capabilities and i think it will last me a good amount of time before i finally have to buck up and get pci-express :p .

You just using Rivatuner/coolbits?

A little update guys, I just benched with everything stock, including my computer since I don't have a quality PSU.

3dMark05 - 6180 @ 430/1300
Idle/Load temps 36/38, water temp @ 25, room temp @ 23, case temp 26.

I'm having problems using Rivatuner to overclock, it won't detect the stock setting since I've changed that .cfg file, I'm gonna change it bakc to see if it works. Right now I'm headed out to Best Buy so I can get a better PSU. I need a fully OC'ed bench NOW!

Hey guys, im using rivatuner currently to oc my 7800GS with the 83.90 drivers. Currently i have it set at 470/1500, however rivatuner wont pass anything above 1500 in its little "test" that it does. I hear all you guys going into the 1600's with the memory, and i want to too, but rivatuner is stopping me! Can i somehow disable rivatuners test thing for when you oc? :shrug:

peace

isnt 6180 a bit low?

I mean my x800pro (12 pipes) oc nearly reaches 6000 already!

TheReds said:
Hey guys, im using rivatuner currently to oc my 7800GS with the 83.90 drivers. Currently i have it set at 470/1500, however rivatuner wont pass anything above 1500 in its little "test" that it does. I hear all you guys going into the 1600's with the memory, and i want to too, but rivatuner is stopping me! Can i somehow disable rivatuners test thing for when you oc? :shrug:

peace
well, i think rivatuner uses your temps as a base for what "passes or fails" and i have pretty sweet temps for air cooling on my card (the thing loads at like 59c and idles at 42c). so you might want to check out your temps on the card before you push it that far.

I am ideling at 43C and load is at 58C. So that cant be the problem. Rivatuners test is real spotty also, like i for a while i could get the memory at 1500 at all. But after testing it a bunch of times, going one up then back down and testing or other crazy methods that dont achieve anything to my surprise it accepted 1500 one time and i was happy. And this is when if i tested any numbers in the 1490's it would fail...........this is wierd.

peace

just went to the nvidia options for overclocking, pressed autodetect. It set it at 483 ( :) ) / 1396 ( :eh?: ). I then went to riva and set the memory to 1500 after a couple of tries, couldnt go higher though. Still ideling at 43 and load at 59. I just ran 3dmard05 with no artifacts or anything and got 6812. Anyone have ideas on boosting my memory oc?

peace

bosx2 said:
isnt 6180 a bit low?

I mean my x800pro (12 pipes) oc nearly reaches 6000 already!

That's with everything stock. I ran tests again, looks like I'm limited by my processor.

CPU oc'ed, Card Stock
3d05: 6335 marks

CPU oc'ed, Card OCed to 495/1156
3d05: 7103 first time, 7153 second time

CPU oc'ed, Card OCed to 480/1156, High performance settings
3d05: 7253

My load temps never went past 38C. I think my CPU may be limiting the 3dMark score. Will check some more tweaking. Also, I had to turn off AGP fast write, otherwise it ran "jumpy", thought that was very strange.

Back