• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AHCI hard drive won't go away when power is switched off in Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I honestly don't think an eSATA > SATA cable will magically "fix" the issue - but it could.

What issues did you observe in W7? This has worked w/o incident on my last 3 MoBo's (an ICH9R and two ICH10R's). :confused:

In W7, I can still hot-swap my drives with both of the "performance" tick boxes checked (caching and flushing or whatever they are labeled). Go figure...

Which ICH are you running again?

:cool:

ICH10R

Randyman... Remember to test with *multiple* power ons then power offs. Not just once.

medo145, there is and it's grayed out.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 Radeon HD 4850 1GB DDR3 @ 625 MHz GPU & 1986 MHz Memory
OCZ Agility 60GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Attachments

• Policies.jpg
    Policies.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 147
try disabling the write caching on the disk and then restart. if it doesn't let you pick the other option, i'd still try to see if you can remove the drive successfully with the caching disabled.

And just to cover my (our) bases:

You do indeed have the Intel RST 9.6 installed on XP and it is running in your System Tray (little drive icon with a yellow lightning bolt through it)? Yet you get no prompts or pop-up messages when you insert or remove a drive?

Later tonight I will try these options and remember, the things is, multiple times. All of this has to work when you switch the power to the drive on then off then later on and off again.

All the while the SATA cable is permanently connected.

I don't know if you can test that because I have a secondary power going in to the SATA drive I took from one of these, I'm using these three + extension cord with a power switch.

Attachments

• ExternalPower.jpg
    ExternalPower.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 138
Bump - Been very busy. Any updates? I still haven't had a chance to test in XP, but this does indeed work w/o issues in W7-64 with ICH10R in RAID Mode with Intel RST 9.6 installed. Left the SATA Data cable connected, and yanked power from the drive 4 or 5 times - I was given the RST Pop-Up messages for each insertion/removal :confused:

Thank you.

eSATA to SATA is on the way from monoprice to me. I decided to spend more time on this problem only if eSATA to SATA doesn't work.

NP.

You mentioned you tried this in W7 and it "worked, but with some issues" - What were the issues?

1. It worked initially but not on repeated tries.
2. I did not have the latest software installed on Win7, it was just a try w/o it so I could not really comment on whether it worked or not fully on my Windows 7.
3. I reached a conclusion to not spend any more time on this until/unless eSATA to SATA does not fully work on Windows XP. Will find out upon receiving cable which shipped out today.

Great success.

SATA to eSATA cable appears to work just like a USB external drive, multiple power on/off with cable permanently connected makes the drive appear/disappear from My Computer.

No software or any additional installations necessary. I am guessing I didn't even have to switch from IDE to AHCI for this? :shrug:

Oh well, I suppose there are other benefits to AHCI...

Woot! Glad to hear you got this running in XP! I am surprised that the cable alone fixed the issue - as my understanding of eSATA is simply that some pins connect before other pins (for hot plugging the data cables) - once connected I thought it was a 1:1 connection just like a standard SATA cable?

What is the eSATA end of the cable plugging into? Still on the ICH10R chip via an adaptor? Or using the 3rd party eSATA controller on the rear of the MoBo?

AHCI will also enable NCQ and should allow TRIM commands if you have an SSD in the system - Never a bad thing IMO :)

Yes, SSD.

eSata is on the outside of the motherboard (external SATA) - back of the case.

Going inside the case to connect to the HD inside which is then controlled by a separate power source with an on/off switch - it all becomes just like having an external drive.

Ah - so you're using the 3rd party chipset (the Marvell 88SE6320) now and not the ICH - correct? I'd still bet the ICH will handle this correctly as in my experiments (with RST installed ;) ) - but I'm glad you found an XP Workaround! :clap:

I'd wager it's more the chipset you're now using than the eSATA cable on its own since the cable is really no different once connected (it's still a 1:1 pin-to-pin connection - the eSATA just uses sheilding and has different length contacts for insertion/removal "Hot Swap" capability). I believe eSATA also uses slightly higher TX voltages and can deal with lower RX voltages...

Good deal regardless :cool:

Last edited:
I'm not a 100% clear whether any of that is the case (what I have installed, chipset etc.) but

The simplest solution is eSATA to SATA because SATA to SATA requires extra steps. No extra steps are required with eSATA to SATA. Why bother spending even 5 minutes more than you have to if you have an eSATA to SATA cable which would effectively make this operation work even without AHCI, right?

If you're using the rear eSATA port on your ASUS P6T Deluxe, then that is using the Marvell 88SE6111 chip ;) THe ICH-10R only has 6 SATA ports, and they are all internal over by the power/LED header.

It doesn't appear that chip has an internal port on your MoBo (that chip also drives the IDE port) - so using the external eSATA port is the only way to access it.

PS - The other Marvell controller on your MoBo does have 2 internal SATA ports (SAS/SATA) - you might give them a shot with an internal SATA cable if you want...

(edit) PPS - Are you sure you tired the Intel ICH ports (the "parallel to the MoBo" bank of 6 SATA ports) and not the Marvell 88SE6320 "perpendicular to the MoBo" pair of SAS/SATA ports during your initial testing? I have a feeling that might have been an issue as I don't believe the Marvell 88SE6320 supports hot-swapping - could just be a BIOS setting to enable hot-swapping on those internal ports if that was the case.

If you are sure you used the Intel ICH bank of 6 ports for the initial testing then it does appear the XP just doesn't like hot swapping even with RST runnning and the drive connected to the ICH chip.

Hot-Swap is nice when it works! Now enjoy the convenience :D

Last edited:
eSATA to SATA works perfectly for me.

I will leave the other useful information and your suggestions for someone w/o the eSATA to SATA cable to consider and further test ;).

Understood. It's good to know your options - it's also good to know which SATA ports connect to which controller chips. I know I was initially intimidated by having multiple HD Controllers onboard and had no idea which one to use for which task back in the P4C800 days :p . Now it just "clicks"...

HTH others in the future. So many ports - so little time :D

All right, how many controllers are on the P6T Deluxe v1.1? Which ones are which?

Do you see a scenario where SATA to SATA would work on Win XP just like eSATA to SATA (without any extra steps etc.)

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 Radeon HD 4850 1GB DDR3 @ 625 MHz GPU & 1986 MHz Memory
OCZ Agility 60GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Your board actually has 3 controller chips!

"W/O any extra steps" will be up to how you're currently configured.

It is generally accepted that any SSD drive will perform best on the ICH10R vs other 3rd party chipsets - and the ICH should be in AHCI or RAID mode off the bat for best SSD performance. If your SSD isn't currently on the ICH10R, then you might have to re-install your OS to make that happen. W7 can generally cope with such transplants, but XP will genrally puke.

The ICH10R connects to the bank of 6 RED SATA ports. 4 are "Stacked" in pairs, and 2 are behind the stacks.

Your board has 2 other controller ships: A Marvell 88SE6320 for the ORANGE pair of "Stacked" SATA/SAS ports close to the ICH ports, and a Marvell 88SE6111 which feeds the "eSATA to Go" rear port and the IDE bus. I'd wager there are settings in the BIOS to allow the 88SE6320 to operate in AHCI or IDE mode. If in AHCI mode - you could very well use the 88SE6320's internal SATA ports for your "removeable" drive scenario w/o messing with your OS at all (assuming your SSD isn't also on that controller). I can't confirm that the 88SE6320 has AHCI capablities as I don't have a board with that chip - but your BIOS or your OM should have that info...

Seeing as your SSD will get the best performance on the ICH10R in AHCI or RAID mode - I personally would make sure the SSD is on the RED ICH10R ports, configure as AHCI in BIOS, and also connect the "removeable" drive to the ICH10R. Install the RST software and you'll be getting the best performance from both drives with full hot-swap capabilitues and no external wiring AFAIK...

Changing the ICH10R from IDE to AHCI can be problematic if your OS is installed on a drive on the ICH10R. See here for info on that: http://www.windows7news.com/2010/05/25/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7/ . I'm not sure how to do this in XP or if it's possible w/o re-installing.

If your SSD is already on the ICH10R in AHCI mode, then you can certainly leave your eSATA the way it is and call it a day. If your SSD either 1) Isn't on the ICH10R or 2) Isn't in AHCI Mode - I'd address that IMNSHO and might as well move the Removeable Drive to the ICH10R as well and loose the "loop around' eSATA connection... Use the eSATA for true external drives :)

Might be easy - might be a PITA depending on how you're configured now.

Isn't this fun? :p

Back