• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AI7 or IS7???? HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speedpc

Hello I need so expert advise!!!!
currently have a IS7 one of the very first (has the gigabit 3com lan) with a excellent 2.4C (275fsb) no problem with Geil PC4200 (2.8v) the board runs great but the max voltage is 2.8 for memory. Well somebody would like to buy my IS7 and i was thinking about getting a AI7 is this a good or bad idea???? Should i stick with a board and chipset that runs flawless or should i put this chipset on a newer better AI7 where the memory voltage can go higher??? Let me know what you all think Thanks Scott (ps i already have a IC7Max3 and i really think the IS7 runs better that is why i am thinking about the AI7)

If you want to set your mem voltage higher the AI7 is a great cause you can go to 3.2 on the memory I believe.

I found the Uguru thing to be quite annoying, but outside of that the board is very stable, after you get the settings right (if your overclocking). The mosfets can get a bit too hot though...

If I had to chose over again, I would have gotten the Max3, because now I have a Prescott and even with heatsinks on the mosfets pwm temps can reach 95C. I watercool though and there is no heatsink fan to blow air over this area, which is what I think Abit was banking on.

I currently own both, and the is7 is the better overclocker. I can't tell by how much, as the vdimm limits my fsb to 252, but the ai7 crapped out at 244 regardless of volts. This is a direct comparison with all other hardware being the same exact piece.

292 fsb is near the top end of the AI7. Unfortunately the voltage required to run my Prescott at that speed pushes my mosfets beyond a safe operating temp, so im forced to run slower until I devise a better cooling solution then passive heatsinks on the mosfets.

Back