• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aida64 Hardware Failure! All other tests ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainforestnomad

Hi
I've been testing my memory overclock, and every test I run, Prime95 blend, OCCT, memtest, memtest86 all run fine and clear, benchmarks such as unigine heaven and cinebench, as well as gaming, surfing and other computer tasks all perform without a hitch. HOWEVER, with Aida64 I get a hardware failure on Stability with cpu, cache and memory enabled, testing after 5 seconds unless I reduce my memory speed to 2400mhz. This is on a Ryzen 3 system with corsair 3000mhz ram.

Why would this be? Does Aida see something the other programs don't? How should I interpret this result? Any ideas/opinions would be very welcome!

AIDA64 uses about 95-97% of available memory during memory+cache stability test. Almost all other tests/benchmarks are barely using memory. In first minutes of AIDA64 it only loads data.
Looks like your PC isn't stable even though almost everything runs fine. A lot of overclockers think that if something passes benchmark or one of the stability tests then everything is stable. I have a bit other experience. Usually when I test then every single benchmark or stability test is passing but some games are still crashing.

You can check if there is new BIOS for the motherboard. Can play with voltages for memory and chipset/memory controller or memory timings. Can also try if it runs fine at 2666 and later try small steps above that. Many users find 2933 quite easy to stabilize while anything above that almost impossible.

Thanks for the reply, Woomack!
My thoughts are that I should leave it at 2400mhz for regular use while I learn more about fine tuning RAM. I've done some investigating and found a few issues worthy of note. It turns out my RAM sticks aren't officially supported by MSI(motherboard manufacturer), and while enabling XMP profile 1 in the bios for 2800mhz seemingly works fine, the Aida64 failure results. 2667mhz also fails.

I found a post in the Aida64 forums about a similar result suggesting Aida is seeing a CRC error(cyclic redundancy check). There is a wealth of information regarding overclocking RAM and I'm keen to learn more about the deeper memory settings such as manual timings, voltages and whatnot, and I've really just brushed the surface.

Probably easier to purchase some compatible RAM, but my hope is that I can make what I have work.

Reaslitically 2400mhz should be just fine for what I'm doing with my PC, however this feels like a fun puzzle to solve, while learning a bit more about my system's settings.

Thanks for the reply, Woomack!
My thoughts are that I should leave it at 2400mhz for regular use while I learn more about fine tuning RAM. I've done some investigating and found a few issues worthy of note. It turns out my RAM sticks aren't officially supported by MSI(motherboard manufacturer), and while enabling XMP profile 1 in the bios for 2800mhz seemingly works fine, the Aida64 failure results. 2667mhz also fails.

I found a post in the Aida64 forums about a similar result suggesting Aida is seeing a CRC error(cyclic redundancy check). There is a wealth of information regarding overclocking RAM and I'm keen to learn more about the deeper memory settings such as manual timings, voltages and whatnot, and I've really just brushed the surface.

Probably easier to purchase some compatible RAM, but my hope is that I can make what I have work.

Reaslitically 2400mhz should be just fine for what I'm doing with my PC, however this feels like a fun puzzle to solve, while learning a bit more about my system's settings.

What are your memory sticks? "Not officially supported" usually means they just haven't tested what you have. They can't test everything that's available.

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model CMK8GX4M2B3000C15R

Looks like this memory is optimized for Intel platforms? Does that matter very much?

Woomack is the one to reply, I don't know for sure. You might want to create a signature in your profile so everyone knows what you're testing and what your system is.

Danny,

I meant to make a "Signature" instead of 'profile.'

Second bar at top, the gray one >

Forum Actions > Edit Profile > (Left Side) My settings > Edit Profile

Last edited:
There is no clear answer how high can you set your memory. Generally 4GB modules should OC better but you have to check it yourself. I can only tell you to try 2666, 2933 and 3200 at auto, xmp and manual settings. All at 1.35V memory voltage. For manual settings try 16-16-16 and 16-18-18 main timings, all other timings leave at auto. If you make it work then can try something like 14-16-16 or 14-14-14.

Check in your BIOS options for "Memory Try It" then select a profile that matches your ram timings of 15-17-17 or something that is close. Many of the presets in MSI boards work quite well

I'd like to thank you guys for giving me some advice. Without really diving into it, I've discovered through experimentation that my motherboard/ram combo doesn't like 1.35v at all on the ram. I've settled on a seemingly stable 2800mhz at 1.25v. Aida64 now gives me no grief! There is a sort of voltage/mhz "wall" at the 2800mhz mark, where I have to jump to 1.35v to even increase the small 133mhz margin to 2933mhz and get the system to boot. I'm very happy with this result and look forward to having my life and brain back on track so I can tackle other issues in my life :)

I'm going to spend some time stress testing my new system settings for 24hour intervals like I did when I first assembled the system. Thanks again!

I'd like to thank you guys for giving me some advice. Without really diving into it, I've discovered through experimentation that my motherboard/ram combo doesn't like 1.35v at all on the ram. I've settled on a seemingly stable 2800mhz at 1.25v. Aida64 now gives me no grief! There is a sort of voltage/mhz "wall" at the 2800mhz mark, where I have to jump to 1.35v to even increase the small 133mhz margin to 2933mhz and get the system to boot. I'm very happy with this result and look forward to having my life and brain back on track so I can tackle other issues in my life :)

I'm going to spend some time stress testing my new system settings for 24hour intervals like I did when I first assembled the system. Thanks again!

I usually don't have the time or desire to delve into the intricacies of voltages / timings. It takes quite a bit of knowledge, skill and patience of which I don't always have. Overclocking on a daily working machine that's been setup is risky in the event of a failed memory overclock / crash. That's why I do 'sissy' overclocks and leave the minutia settings to our experts here.

I only setup and test my overclocks on a new machine with only installed testing software, and this takes me a few weeks of testing. Once I have an acceptable, cool and a non-stressed overclock I leave it alone for the duration. But I like AIDA64 much more than the older Prime95 / Orthos programs.

Back