• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AIO H50 water freeze?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fortunesfool

I was wondering if I could freeze the water inside my H50 and what would happen if I did? It's not something im trying to do, but I left my window open today when I went to work and my computer is sitting by it -6*F outside...

Kinda dumb, but anyone heard anything about AIO CL coolers freezing?

Definitely move it into a warmer environment, pull off the left side panel and lay the system on it's left side. Let it thaw out slowly. In the event there are leaks when it warms up they "should" drip out the case without falling on any electronics; this of course depends on how your rad is mounted.

The fluid in the AIO should not freeze at that temp, depending on the mixture. But I would take the precaution as above and not chance it. :cool:

It's definitely a possiblity and as Robert said I wouldn't risk it. Even though it probably didn't freeze completely partial freezing could lead to expansion casuing fractures. I would thaw it out and test it...

Edit: A bit of reading shows that the H50 contains a distilled water/propylene glycol coolant so I doubt it will freeze that quickly since the glycol will act as an anti-freeze...

Last edited:
Freezing Point Ethylene Glycol Solution

Percentage per volume_______0.....10.....20.....30.....40.....50......60
Temperature (oF)___________32....23.....14......2.....-13....-36.....-70
___________(oC)___________0......-3......-8....-16....-25....-37....-55

I am not to sure what ratio the the H50 uses but it would have to be a 60/40 solution for it to not freeze at -6*F.

The ethylene (or propylene, I don't remember which) glycol solution will take pretty cold temps before freezing. Eventually you'll hit the point though, ice will form in the radiator, and you'll lose all cooling abilities.
If you're lucky you won't crack the radiator :D

Sweet, thanks guys! My girlfriend called me when she got home and said the window wasnt open. I thought it was lol so I was trying to prepare myself for the worst when I get home lol.

The ethylene (or propylene, I don't remember which) glycol solution will take pretty cold temps before freezing. Eventually you'll hit the point though, ice will form in the radiator, and you'll lose all cooling abilities.
If you're lucky you won't crack the radiator :D

For future reference, it's ethylene glycol. :cool:

Don't drink it then :D
Asetek/Tt bitterize the hell out of it, which is nice. I expect the other Asetek units do as well.

Knowing the ratio would be interesting, if I get another one of this sort of cooler I may pull some liquid out and check it.

Back