• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Circulation in Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure that it will you will have to try it first and see how it works. The set up you are thinking of doing is unorthadoxed but that is how better things are discovered.

Static = no flow air counteracts eachother and doesn't move well.

Buffer Zone = just meaning it will hit the HDD and move air over them both creting a good heat removal flow. When air hits an object it is buffered.

Back Draft = Forcing air to one spot in the back of the case becoming static.

How does any of this affect my fan speeds and noise?

Seeing that your lower area is a tad different over all.... ??? i duno what u were saying

Fan speeds - It doesn't. That is what most people complain about is the noise via the fan speeds. Since you are using this setup I'm simply stating you will or should keep track of your speeds and temps so you know what speed works best. Meaning, does the front fans need to go faster than the rear? Do I need to run my CPU fan at max 24/7? ETC.

The area where your HDD are located has more than mine does. I have an open area under my HDD and you have a inner frame rail going down both sides to mount HDDs.

ohhh ohh well i had the same system for 4months.. straight when i got it... I started doing research for this system for 4months. Thats y i dont wana change my PSU.. My current ARKUA 7228 is pretty noisy.... So now i just want my system to probably go 33C CPU idle and load prob 38C... my Room ambient temp is 33C.... so noise isnt a factor. thats y i have a TORNADO!
Oh yea i forgot yest thats my only harddisk.... 40gig MAXTOR..
Right now i cant control my fans they just go zoom full speed cause i dont have a rheostat. Dont intend to get one. Cause i dont think Malaysia has one and ordering online is EXPENSIVE! My fans all run full speed and its not on 24/7.. I duno how to keep track of the speeds

OK hook it all up how you feel it should be and keep a close eye on your voltages and temps. IF you start noticing that you can not get temps to around the temps you should expect, change around one fan at a time or remove one fan at atime until you do.

That should work just fine. I would really concider spendign afew bucks on a PSU with an inteke and exhaust fan when you can though.

Good luck.

Im on my quest! To destroy the ring... Go to Gondor... hehe 😄 i like Smeagol.....

I thought if a PSU had 2 fans they would be both exhaust? exhaust to the CPU exhaust out the back... I duno I really hate PSU...
Keep close eye on voltages... Which voltage do i keep a close eye on...

HEY VTech thank you for your help.... When I do hook it up Ill post my results and what i did...

Do you have Sandra or MBM5??? Both will show you your approx. voltages. These should never be taken as true voltage but only a good guess as to what it really is. The 12v and 5v specificlly.

On a 2 fan PSU the bottom fan is intake and the back fan is the exhaust. It takes air in over the CPU since 99% of motherboards place them at the top of a board that is in the tower setup.

Ya post your results as I am highly curious as to how it all ens up working. :D

I really would suggest using my setup. I'm telling ya....

My setup increases the amount of air going in and out of the case, basically to the max those fans can provide. This will cool everything. I have a lot of PCI cards, and all of them are cooled properly.

Your setup draws in less air, and uses other fans to stir up air in the case. This is not going to be as effective, and sometimes it can raise your temps.

I was saying that my CPU temps are 3degrees lower when i have the side pannel on. My PCI cards are also much cooler, because when The side pannel is on, the air circulates better.

If you have more air blowing OUT than blowing IN, then more air has to come in from somewhere. The air will come in wherever it's "easiest" A lot of the time it can be from the rear of the case, or somewehre close to the exhaust fans. If the air is comming IN the back of the case and OUT the back of the case, you aren't cooling much. Of course not ALL of the air is doing this, but you are wasting the fan's potential.

Stock fans aren't too bad! As long as they're around 30CFM anyhow. I did upgrade my fans to 32.5 (Like 3% increase!hah) clear blue led fans though, I like the clearness and blue lights ahhh Your cooling set-up looks good though, this has been debated but I would reccomend more exhuast than intake (Looks like you'll have that with the PSU fan) so dust doesn't stay.

My first ever modding of the case and planning of airflow.
FunkDaMonkMan- There is equally intake and exhaust.
exhaust=1 120mm 2 80mm
intake=1 120mm 2 80mm
And don't worry your idea is kinda similiar to my idea FunkDaMonkMan so i can just revert it.

And I just newly thought of putting cardboard where the CDROMs are to conceal it so there is no dead spot, and if i put a fan there it would create a turbulence. So i thought if i covered it no such thing will occur and it will kinda create a duct.

Don't really know my specs of my stock fan.

Army_Of_1 - This has been debated? Someone with a similiar idea?

I have started to calculate dimensions and plan it up on my case to dremmel it. Prob take a week or 2.

Sorry I didn't read any of this thread ;) If noone has told you to cut the grills on the case out and stick some real wire one's in there, you should do that now. You'll get more flow into and out of the case.

-Toysrme

Yup Im plannign to cut out the grills on the case infront and dont put any grills. Cos the case will protect it so no one can touch it.

Back