• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

air cooler for LGA775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsrcrxsi

so ive been out of the loop (;)) as far as air cooling goes.

but im looking for a couple air coolers with good performance. noise isnt an issue and i have a couple Scythe 120x38mm 2000RPM fans that i plan to use on whatever i get.

i remember years ago, the TRUE (thermalrite ultra extreme?) was regarded as one of the best if you put noisy fans on it. is that still the case?

any other recommendations?

i plan to have them on a q9650 and probably something like a q6600, to get the most clocks out of them that i can.

What's your budget? The 212 Evo is about $30 and can often be reused when you upgrade.

If you're going to be using it on LGA775 CPU's I don't see any real reason to buy some high-end cooler that is newer than the TRUE (Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme).

I compared one of my Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme heatsinks to a new Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme heatsink (a current $90-100 USD high-end heatsink) and found little difference as far as cooling performance was concerned (it was maybe 1-2°C cooler with the newer heatsink, which is negligible). And the stock fans that come with the Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme were considerably louder than the ones I was using with the TRUE.

Frankly, most of the reviews I've read put the TRUE ahead of the CM 212 Evo in cooling performance. The TRUE can usually be had for less than then 212 Evo as well. I usually see them selling on ebay between $12-30. I picked my last one up for around $15. And you can find mounting hardware for just about every current socket type that can be used with the TRUE (LGA775, LGA1366, LGA1156, LGA1155, LGA1150, 754, 939, AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+ for certain). I can fit mine onto 939/AM2/AM2+/AM3, LGA775, LGA1366, LGA1155, and have used it with all of those socket types.

Bought 2 of the evos.

eBay does look a little cheaper for used TRUEs, but I need 2 and picked up some thermal paste at the same time. One shipment is preferable.

Back