• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air coolers....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I use a 200 watt heatload because it's not hard to get there with a quad (or more) core processor and have it stable at that speed for years on end. Besides testing heatsinks, I also run DC projects with my systems and that means 100% load 24/7/365. And there are quite a few people on these forums that do the same thing and with proper cooling and keeping voltages below Intel and AMD's max vcore guidelines you won't hurt anything. My younger brother still has some old Conore dual cores and a Q6600 quad I ran for years overclocked in the 3.4-3.6 range and they are still going strong. If you keep vcore reasonable and keep the proc cool, you can push your proc for a long, long time without failure. And since I have had such good success with this formula, I look for heatsinks that able to handle that kind of running. As for my Bloomfield at 4.0, that processor hardly needs any vcore adjustment to run there. I actually run it at a higher than needed vcore at 1.305 volts to get some extra heat for testing. If it weren't a test system, it would also be running BOINC 24/7/365 at that overclock, as that proc easily handles the speed without passing Intel's max vcore guidelines.

I owe you an apology. For years I used the same site for my HSF reviews, but times have changed and so must I.
:thup:

No problem Bosco. :thup:

IMO, Frostytech needs to up their testing wattage on the high end to keep pace with today's systems. Although with Ivy Bridge, we are now seeing problems transferring the heat to the cooling device itself, whitch is gonna open up more problems for the cooling manufacturers, especially for overclocked systems. I have a feeling it's a combination of problems with Ivy Bridge, with the process shrink, 3d transistors and especially the lack of a soldered IHS-to-die interface playing a big role in making them so much harder to cool at higher overclocks on ambient cooling. I saw a definite trend of being easier to cool from Nehalem to Gulftown, and then Sandy Bridge (1155) was even easier to cool. But Ivy Bridge is a different beast it looks like.:(

Yes, I do think the HSF manufacturers may have to come up with even more efficient HSF's now with IB and the heat it generates overclocked.

I'm trying to hang on to the old i7 860 till Haswell comes out....but if I see an i5 2500k really cheap I might budge, lol.

Phanteks PH-TC14PE trumps the noctua atm i think?

Don't know, haven't tested it. But the design looks promising and they are smart, smart smart thinkers by selling that heatsink in different color schemes.:thup: IMO, they must have a good marketing team to come up with an idea like that to help move their product.

Don't know, haven't tested it. But the design looks promising and they are smart, smart smart thinkers by selling that heatsink in different color schemes.:thup: IMO, they must have a good marketing team to come up with an idea like that to help move their product.

i cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not :p hehe. does the noctua rock 140 mm fans or 120? the Phanteks PH-TC14PE is MASSSSIVVVVEEEEE

No, I wasn't being sarcastic. I think it's a brilliant move on their part, as a lot of enthusiasts try to keep a color theme going in their builds and this gives them a choice to better match the cooler to their build. And if performance and pricing is comparable between it and the D14, I would choose the nicer looking one, especially if there is a window in the case. You gotta admit that the color scheme on Noctua fans leaves much to be desired. :rofl:

The D14 comes with 1-120 x 25 mm fan and 1-140 x 25 mm fan, BTW.

Back