• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Cooling help...new build, new case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

howdoi

Registered
Here is my build:

i7-4770k
Gb UD-4H
G. Skill Ripjaws 16Gb 1866
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
AMD R9 R290
Phanteks TC14PE CPU Cooler
3x Dell U2412M in portrait mode
OCZ Fatality 1000W

Cooler Master HAF XB case

I would like to make the case as quiet as possible (my old 'stock' comp was whiny at idle)

I am thinking that all of the stock fans need to be replaced with higher flow and quieter fans. Noctua fans?

I am also wondering if it was worth it to get the 200mm fan that blows out the top of the case? or is this overkill?

Also, would a fan controller help? or is it just more for cosmetics?

Welcome to OCF and thanks for your build list, but what is the problem here?? Is it Temps within the case or Noise issues that you want to resolve!! Please answer so the members can give help and Advice. :shrug:

Regards,

AJ.

The problem is the case temp due to the reference 290. I would like it to be as cool as possible. When the fans spin up, they get rather loud. I would like to keep the case as cool as possible, while being as 'whisper' quiet as possible.

I would also like to keep the 290 from frying everything in the case :)

Now we get too it, yep you did choose a hot potato in that card my friend. So what is the layout of your case fans, and what size as well??

AJ.

The HAF XB is a 'bench' style case.

PSU and drives in bottom 1/2

everything else is in top 1/2.

Plenty of airflow, but would like to move more air quietly.

Case can house the following:

- 200mm case top fan
- 2x 80mm drive fans in front of case lower level
- 120mm top exhaust in back top of case
- 2x 120mm front panel or 1x 240mm

So it looks like this one, hmmm a not so easy problem to solve, as i have never had any dealings with a case like yours before.

1, http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?product_id=6866

Maybe i should leave this to those who know what they are doing, but for high Airflow and low noise fans. You could look at this while you wait for someone to help you!!

2, http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

This is a live test of Fans for low noise and good airflow as you will see if you choose to check out the Video's.

Respect,

AJ.

you might probably get best results with a 200mm forcefully blowing down onto the board/cards and using the 120 mm positions as (slow) exhaust
and yes, Noctua or Noiseblocker

I owned a HAF XB.

I had a radiator on the front with 2 120mm fans and a single 120mm fan exhausting. The only change I would make is to put the CMaster 200MM fan (others will not fit, note due to screw hole locations differing from other models) on top exhausting. That said, without it I was fine anyway. AFAIK, the front will not support a 240mm fan. Its 2 120mm or 140mm fans.

EDIT:
Cooling System Front: 120mm fan x 2, 1800 RPM, 21 dBA
(or 140mm fan x 2)

Rear: 120mm fan x 1 (optional), and
80mm fan x 2 (optional)

Top: 200mm fan x 1 (optional)

As far as a fan controller being cosmetic.. clearly not as it has a function... it will lower the speed of your fans attached to it. ;)

Back