• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Cooling Quesions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Also, is it fine to keep motherboards out in the open or will that damage it?

1) 220mm will move air more silently.
2)best fan configuration is #1 since hot air rises.
3) corsair H series.
4) if you went with an H Series you wouldn't need to.

And I don't get what you are asking in your second post.

1) 220mm will move air more silently.
2)best fan configuration is #1 since hot air rises.
3) corsair H series.
4) if you went with an H Series you wouldn't need to.

And I don't get what you are asking in your second post.

So a heatsink cooler with a shroud won't beat the H series then?

And why isn't the zalman better than the H series?

It has more fans/ compatiblity for GPU's

So a heatsink cooler with a shroud won't beat the H series then?
depends what level of H series you get. The NH-D14 will easily beat and H40 but loses to an H100.
And why isn't the zalman better than the H series?
the H series are newer and more up to date. But again it will depend which one you get. Also the zalman is an external which can be a pain.
It has more fans/ compatiblity for GPU's
?

depends what level of H series you get. The NH-D14 will easily beat and H40 but loses to an H100.

the H series are newer and more up to date. But again it will depend which one you get. Also the zalman is an external which can be a pain.

?

The last quote was meant to be linked with the second one.

So the H1000> All heatsink fan combos?

The last quote was meant to be linked with the second one.

So the H1000> All heatsink fan combos?

Okay. :thup:

The H100 is a really great cooler and will beat any air cooler currently on the market. But some cases do not fit it.

Okay. :thup:

The H100 is a really great cooler and will beat any air cooler currently on the market. But some cases do not fit it.

My inwin dragon rider should fit it right?

At the top theirs space for 2 120mm fans.

The fan has space for 6.

If someone else seconds the ''h100 is better than heatsink fan'' comment, I will probably go out and buy it

A) Bigger fans are usually better for silence, though 6x120 will yield more airflow, but for more noise and more money. And is probably overkill, though it may help with your GPU. Can you post full details of your build?

B) I would go all intake (seriously, positive pressure helps with dust a lot), and the PSU fan to the bottom if you have a hole for the fan.

C) Zalman's Reserators are way old. Go for Corsair Hydro series or any other LCLC (Intel, Antec, Asetek, they are all six and half a dozen...) cooling system. Even though, as bmwbaxter said, a D14 and so heatsinks will perform as good as LCLC, I prefer LCLCs for the sake of not having to deal with RAM modules height, and because they usually look neat.

D) Airducts used to be nice, but now they're not used so much since cases have a better airflow and there's no tangible difference.

And, for WC, a chassis is useful to have everything nice and tidy. I did install my system caseless for some time and even had a benchtable. Speaking of dust... what dust? :chair:

A) Bigger fans are usually better for silence, though 6x120 will yield more airflow, but for more noise and more money. And is probably overkill, though it may help with your GPU. Can you post full details of your build?

B) I would go all intake (seriously, positive pressure helps with dust a lot), and the PSU fan to the bottom if you have a hole for the fan.

C) Zalman's Reserators are way old. Go for Corsair Hydro series or any other LCLC (Intel, Antec, Asetek, they are all six and half a dozen...) cooling system. Even though, as bmwbaxter said, a D14 and so heatsinks will perform as good as LCLC, I prefer LCLCs for the sake of not having to deal with RAM modules height, and because they usually look neat.

D) Airducts used to be nice, but now they're not used so much since cases have a better airflow and there's no tangible difference.

Here are the specs

[Chasis] Inwin dragon rider
[CPU] AMD Bulldozer FX-6 Six Core 6100 Black Edition 3.30Ghz
[Mobo] ASRock 870 Extreme3 R2.0
[GPU] MSI R5770 Hawk (x2)
[RAM] Komputerbay DDR3 1600MHz 4x4Gb
[PSU] 720v

Bought for £240+£20 delivery ($414.721) :D

Can you really say that its better than H80?

H80 has a bigger rad/ an extra fan

H100 has more radiator surface area and same number of fans as an H80.

They both perform very well and it will depend on how far you want to push your overclock.

H100 has more radiator surface area and same number of fans as an H80.

They both perform very well and it will depend on how far you want to push your overclock.

oh yeah, I forgot.

Spec wise, how does my pc look?

Valuewise, how do it look there

If someone else seconds the ''h100 is better than heatsink fan'' comment, I will probably go out and buy it

I haven't tested an H100, but I know it's a good LCLC system. The H80 is also a good LCLC system too. But, both of them also use fans (same fans for both actually) that can get pretty noisy as full speed. And your tier 1 air cooling solutions will get in the same ballpark in cooling ability with higher pressure, noisy fans as the H80 and H100. It's as matter of choice really and you won't go wrong either way with an H80, H100 or tier 1 air.

I've got afew questions.

(I have an In Win Dragon Rider chasis)

Which is better for the side cooling?

1) 220mm fan or six 120mm fans?

2) Which is the best airflow method?
6jneok.jpg
34y8oj9.jpg
35bfree.jpg

3) out of the [zalman reserator/ corsair hydro] series and heatsink cooling, which is better? *

4) if I did this to my heatsink cooler,
http://www.overclockers.com/case-and-videocard-airflow-coolng-mods/
Will it cool better than the '' ?

I am using a Dragon Rider as the case for my heatsink test system and have found it to be a really nice, well ventilated case with a few minor flaws that can be worked around. It is very sturdy, which I actually need since I am forever moving it to install and remove heatsinks and is holding up very well to all the handling. Answering your questions, read below:

1. Stick with the 220 mm fan on the door. If you decide to go air cooling instead of an H100 and find interference with the fan and the cooler, then you can shift the 220 mm fan downwards on the door to give enough room for most heatsinks and still have the fan fastened to the side door at the 4 mounting points and still leave the fan led switch connected to the side of the door. About the only heatsink I have run across that still has clearance problems doing that is the Thermalright Silver Arrow and for it I was able to unscrew the switch from the side and then move the fan downwards a little more to the second from the bottom 2 mounting holes on the sides of the mesh and just use 2 screws to hold the fan in place.

2. I have mine set up like in your top picture.

3. The H80 and H100 are both leagues better than the Reserator. The Reserator was never designed to handle today's modern systems, heatload wise.

4. As already has been said, there is no reason to do this with modern cases. Airflow and case design has come a long way since 2004, when that article was done.

Also, is it fine to keep motherboards out in the open or will that damage it?

I don't understand the question. You are installing it in the Dragon Rider case, right? If so, then it's not out in the open, but rather protected by the case.

My inwin dragon rider should fit it right?

At the top theirs space for 2 120mm fans.

The fan has space for 6.

You shouldn't have any problem with fitting the H100 into the top that I can see. The fan spacing is correct for a radiator with the fans spaced at 15mm for mounting, so it should fit the H100 or a regular 120.2 computer radiator with no problems. The top grilled will give a little bit of back pressure, but shouldn't hinder airflow too badly.

Here are the specs

[Chasis] Inwin dragon rider
[CPU] AMD Bulldozer FX-6 Six Core 6100 Black Edition 3.30Ghz
[Mobo] ASRock 870 Extreme3 R2.0
[GPU] MSI R5770 Hawk (x2)
[RAM] Komputerbay DDR3 1600MHz 4x4Gb
[PSU] 720v

Bought for £240+£20 delivery ($414.721) :D

oh yeah, I forgot.

Spec wise, how does my pc look?

Valuewise, how do it look there

I'm not too conversant on Bulldozer based procs, but it looks decent to me.

For some tier 1 air cooling choices that should be in the same ballpark as an H80 or H100 with the same fans mounted, you might want to look at the Prolimatech Genesis, True Spirit 140, Venomous X, the good old TRUE Rev. C and maybe the Archon (haven't tested fitment or performance yet). The Silver Arrow will also fit, but you have to shift that big fan way down on the side door and just use 2 screws to fasten it and I would assume that you will run into the same problem with the NH-D14, since they are about the same size.

Back