• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kemosabe89

So working with my current build i have ruled out going water cooling unless the price of water cooling is cheaper then a air cooler. I have been looking around and have yet to find a decent review of what i really wanted to get. A Hyper 212 is out of the question cuz its too tall. So i was going to stay in the family of CM and chose the CM n520 anyone know if theres a decent review.

Attachments

• intro1.jpg
    intro1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 170
  • CM_N520_specs.jpg
    CM_N520_specs.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 162
And/or a decent Mid Tower air cooler that will allow a decent OC on a FX 6300 while keeping temps at a reasonable level.

Dimension 122.35 x 102.5 x 141 mm ( L x W x H )

Guru of 3D review. (Link)

Yeah. I read that one and I was just wondering if anyone actually got there hands on one, or know someone who has one that knows if its Complete garbage or a decent cooler. Or any suggestion for another decent air cooler that will fit in the case.

Case dimensions: 19.50" x 7.75" x 17.5"

Attachments

• $T2eC16NHJGkE9no8gGE!BRYz2hOV6Q~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16NHJGkE9no8gGE!BRYz2hOV6Q~~60_12.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 149
I have an Apevia X Cruiser that is the same width as your X-Dreamer. I'm able to get a CM 212 + in which is the same dimensions as the EVO in it. The Evo is a pretty good bang for the buck. Though might only be good for a mild OC. Something similar in height should fit, the best Air Heatsink I own is a Prolimatech Megahalems, on my 2500k oced to 4.7 the temps were 10c less then the Cm212+ with the same fans mounted.

Yeah. I read that one and I was just wondering if anyone actually got there hands on one, or know someone who has one that knows if its Complete garbage or a decent cooler. Or any suggestion for another decent air cooler that will fit in the case.

Case dimensions: 19.50" x 7.75" x 17.5"

Have another idea (link)

It is a list of low profile from Frosty Tech. It is a little dated however, you can read other articles from Frosty. They do have some interesting reviews that may have been missed, Scythe Zipang (SCZP-1000) was one I was just looking at.

I realize that Scythe North America has gone AOL. Just trying to be helpful and "open the gates".:thup:

Have another idea (link)

It is a list of low profile from Frosty Tech. It is a little dated however, you can read other articles from Frosty. They do have some interesting reviews that may have been missed, Scythe Zipang (SCZP-1000) was one I was just looking at.

I realize that Scythe North America has gone AOL. Just trying to be helpful and "open the gates".:thup:

Oh trust me the Flood gates will be open. Only issue I found is that im trying to keep it $50USD or under. If I go over by $1USD then i might as well get a CM Sedion 120 or Coarsair H60 and call it a day. :shrug:
But watercoolers lack the sexiness of an air cooler and i know that Entry level Watercoolers are the same as a $30-50 air cooler. And air has a Huge safety zone to not leak on my components.

Oh trust me the Flood gates will be open. Only issue I found is that im trying to keep it $50USD or under. If I go over by $1USD then i might as well get a CM Sedion 120 or Coarsair H60 and call it a day. :shrug:
But watercoolers lack the sexiness of an air cooler and i know that Entry level Watercoolers are the same as a $30-50 air cooler. And air has a Huge safety zone to not leak on my components.

I'd say that a good air cooler in some ways is superior to good water cooling:

1)Less to go wrong
2)Easy maintenance - some would say zero maintenance
3)Simpler to "upgrade" - just change the fans or add more.
4)Much, much (read a lot) less expensive.

not to mention the less one spends on the cooler the more you can spend on something else (like your spouse, kids, pets or favorite charity):thup:

I'd say that a good air cooler in some ways is superior to good water cooling:

1)Less to go wrong
2)Easy maintenance - some would say zero maintenance
3)Simpler to "upgrade" - just change the fans or add more.
4)Much, much (read a lot) less expensive.

not to mention the less one spends on the cooler the more you can spend on something else (like your spouse, kids, pets or favorite charity):thup:

Lol Spend money on Spouse... Maybe, but i have no kids, 2 dogs and WTF is charity? Thought Charity starts at Home. :D But yes I was just looking for a pretty cool looking heatsink that also works really well. THe Fx 6300 will be pushed to mostlikely 4.2ghz and that will be all.

Seidon 120MM - $24.99 after rebate
I bought the Seidon 120MM a few weeks ago for $25 after MIR, and I had a $15 promo card that was expiring soon, so I paid $10 out of pocket.

$25 - price check! (very kind of you to post:thup:)
Audio levels are "ok":

"as it's only on par with air coolers like the Enermax ETS-T40-TA and Zalman CNPS14X which are whisper quiet in comparison. If you manually adjusted the fan speed via your motherboard, it could likely shed a few degrees off this result, but you'd be unnecessarily sacrificing noise levels to do so."

Source: Bit-Tech (Link)

Biggest concern is what the pump reliability is - IF this is the Asetek pump, then the concern is how long before the "ticking pump" becomes a problem?:chair:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7335485&CatId=499

Is the Cooler Master Seidon 120 better or worse then the H60 HP? Cuz its only a $5 price difference. Granted that watercoolers are in the long run, require more maintenance.

http://noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=37&lng=en

it sorts out RAM & VRM cooling, the only issue is... its fugly
Prolimatech as something similar, just make sure its a good fan.

And for "sexy looking" most HS that look good, don't perform that well
example coolermaster V6 / V8 - the look is "interesting", but that is about it.

But, if you want a conversation piece : http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/cooling/geminii-series/geminii.html
:)

1.) WTF IS THAT THING!!!! Its sexy and ugly at the same time. Kinda looking at a Ugly woman behind who has a Knock out body....

2.) Its going to be a wife build who does homework, facebook, and light gaming (WOW, Rift, MMORPG, SIMS)

Seidon 120MM - $24.99 after rebate
I bought the Seidon 120MM a few weeks ago for $25 after MIR, and I had a $15 promo card that was expiring soon, so I paid $10 out of pocket.

Theres also a Coarsair H60 for $29.00 after a $20 MIR. Ideas?

Not bad. But what I was seeing and told from others the Hyper 212+ or EVO is by far the best of the best in the under $60 sink range.

Would it be worth it to go stright Hyper 212 EVO with some Nasty CFM fans and Red Led's or just roll a H60 or Seidon 120 and wait for the pumps to act stupid. ??? Really i havent found a good argument weather Air or Water is superior. Im trying to get my FX 6300 to a Solid clock of 4.2ghz cuz the MoBo Sucks and i was stupid for buying it. :bang head

A970-G43 = MSI does not have an AM3+ model motherboard by that name, that I can find. They do have a 970A-G43 motherboard which is as close to unsatisfactory for an FX processor as is made and sold perphaps. VRMs overheating is easily found by just g00gling. 4.2Ghz may not be possible when ALL six cores are enabled like most overclockers do when they turn off all the green stuff and TurboCore as well. I have even seen users in the MSI forums suggest strongly against the slightly better G45 for most FX processors.

So if the cheaper CM 212+/EVO will fit in that case...I surely would not spend extra beyond their price unless you are prepared to get a good motherboard if your 4.2Ghz fails.

A970-G43 = MSI does not have an AM3+ model motherboard by that name, that I can find. They do have a 970A-G43 motherboard which is as close to unsatisfactory for an FX processor as is made and sold perphaps. VRMs overheating is easily found by just g00gling. 4.2Ghz may not be possible when ALL six cores are enabled like most overclockers do when they turn off all the green stuff and TurboCore as well. I have even seen users in the MSI forums suggest strongly against the slightly better G45 for most FX processors.

So if the cheaper CM 212+/EVO will fit in that case...I surely would not spend extra beyond their price unless you are prepared to get a good motherboard if your 4.2Ghz fails.

Agreed. Like i said on some other posts. I only need the motherboard to last about 1 year or so before i will afford a way better MOBO. Not really knowing anything about AMD and doing a build is rough. And rougher still is that i listened to some people and lead me down the wronge path. But i know the FX 6300 is 3.5ghz stock and that if i push it a little higher. maybe 4ghz my life wont end, the mobo will last and the wife will be happier with it then a laptop. so Either a hyper 212 evo for 39.00 or a H60 for 39.00 water or air.

Personally I'd go EVO! Mount it and forget it, it will just work period. Those AIO H2O coolers work well, when they work and when they don't they cause headaches! I don't like headaches!

Personally I'd go EVO! Mount it and forget it, it will just work period. Those AIO H2O coolers work well, when they work and when they don't they cause headaches! I don't like headaches!

Well what i could do if i dont plan on a super heavy OC maybe just bumping it up 500mhz on the stock clock. Ill throw my Tt Contact 30 w/ push-pull and then put a H60 in my Intel rig.
:eh?:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6680856&CatId=798

The problem with "weak" VRMs & "hot" CPUs is that the typical TOWER cooler not really helps; which is why i proposed a top-down cooler like the noctua "C".

As for differences between Air & Water : in the low-end segment, they are on par; in the high-end segment, they are also on par. Only when you forget about the AIO WC kits and go to a real custom loop , then water takes the upper hand.

Of course, one can always put the PC in front of the A/C :)

AS for "light gaming"... the SIMS have become quite resource (ram/cpu/gpu) hungry... they put serious strain on a system. And its probably going to get worse with the Sims 4... something to take into account :)

The problem with "weak" VRMs & "hot" CPUs is that the typical TOWER cooler not really helps; which is why i proposed a top-down cooler like the noctua "C".
Good Point!

Back