• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is a very good point i didnt know. I could rig a spot cooler with some parts from HomeDepot and make sure its target is the VRM. Also i found some VRM heatsink that will also work. Just wondering if i load a FX6300 with a Contact 30 and hit 4ghz clock that the board will last longer then 6months. and I will also have a ton of fans on the case and positive pressure to keep it moving. The wife dosnet always play sims but there are the times she does. Mostly WOW and other MMORPS.

That is a very good point i didnt know. I could rig a spot cooler with some parts from HomeDepot and make sure its target is the VRM. Also i found some VRM heatsink that will also work. Just wondering if i load a FX6300 with a Contact 30 and hit 4ghz clock that the board will last longer then 6months. and I will also have a ton of fans on the case and positive pressure to keep it moving. The wife dosnet always play sims but there are the times she does. Mostly WOW and other MMORPS.

1. Spot cooling and the Mosfet sinks sounds like the only idea to make that system hold up as well as can be expected.

2. I did not look for any reviews of the TT Contact 30, but it looks in design similar to all the rest of the tower type coolers. That does not make it a champ, but it might do the job well and you have it to hand already. I would suspicion that you could push pull it like I just did my Xigmatek Aegir air cooler and that should help the cpu cooler some.

3. It is certain that anything you can do to help the VRMs remain cool is going to be a big plus overall for the cpu speed you can rise to and for the life of the board in the area of the VRM circuit. Good luck man.
RGone...

1. Spot cooling and the Mosfet sinks sounds like the only idea to make that system hold up as well as can be expected.

2. I did not look for any reviews of the TT Contact 30, but it looks in design similar to all the rest of the tower type coolers. That does not make it a champ, but it might do the job well and you have it to hand already. I would suspicion that you could push pull it like I just did my Xigmatek Aegir air cooler and that should help the cpu cooler some.

3. It is certain that anything you can do to help the VRMs remain cool is going to be a big plus overall for the cpu speed you can rise to and for the life of the board in the area of the VRM circuit. Good luck man.
RGone...

Thank you RGone. Lots to consider. Thinking that with the current FX6300 just a slight OC to 4ghz and the contact 30 that works like the Hyper212 with direct heatpipe contact to the CPU will be efficent enought for a standard build. Nothing super special, as of right now I'm total $500 into the build and am down to my last 2 parts. Heatsink and CD drive. Not bad for my first amd build. In 6 months im going to upgrade to either a Sabertooth or Crosshair. Just needs to last so the wife can do Online College and some gaming. maybe internet TV. Fx 6300, 970A-G43, HD 7850 1gb seems enough for 6 months then a major MOBO upgrade and later maybe another 7850 1gb in Xfire

Think outloud...

ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157266

1. Based on it being the wife's rig "and" you say you might crossfireX at a later date, here is a board that is not so pricey and should with emphasis on should, do well. I would not buy it to try and run +5.0Ghz but for two PCIe slots that would support Crossfire well and enough beans to run an FX-6300 in the 4.6ish Ghz range with air...it would save some money.

2. I have no doubt the Sabertooth 990FX Rev2.0 would do well as would the CHV-z board. I have the non-z CHV and it is freeken awesome. But I have a bad habit of playing around with speeds not at all suitable for 24/7 use and the CHV is great in that regard.

3. I have one thought to add and don't mean it as a mandate, but I am thinking out-loud. By the time you buy heatsinks for the mosfets and other various odds and ends, why not just buy the board above and E-bay the MSI thing? I am thinking in the overall long run that you might have your wifeE setup with much less chance she will be disappointed. Just thinking. Either way, I hope you reach some short term goals that lead to longer term success.
RGone...

3. I have one thought to add and don't mean it as a mandate, but I am thinking out-loud. By the time you buy heatsinks for the mosfets and other various odds and ends, why not just buy the board above and E-bay the MSI thing? I am thinking in the overall long run that you might have your wifeE setup with much less chance she will be disappointed. Just thinking. Either way, I hope you reach some short term goals that lead to longer term success.
RGone...
That sounds like a good idea, yous is a gene-I Gonester!

ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157266

RGone...
Not gonna lie. I have been thinking of doing just that. Cuz the MOBO was paid for 69.00 no tax. and on e-bay the cheapest 970A-G43 is 79.00 Make a little bit of profit? But for now I need something that will work well I can afford a better MOBO laters. Unfortunately i love computers so much but lack the disposable income to do wild upgrades with out a justification. I TOTALLY BLAME THE ARMY........ Dont get paid enough. :salute:

:UPDATE: Just got my H60 for my case so i dismantled the contact 30 and now it will go into the wifes build. Also got 2 Silex 120mm Fans with a 74.5cfm count and red led's to mount on the contact 30 for looks and preformance. i can afford 10.99 each but the Corsair SP120 are fricken $20 each. WTF i understand that performance and reliability come expensive but CMON. I can get a Box fan and ducktape it to my fricken case.

I have that same cooler and right now im running a Vishera 6300 OC'd to 3.94 with 3 exhaust fans and 3 intakes blowing more air through the cooler and with Prime95 running temps max at 45*C however and 25*C at idle, when you mount it to AM3+ it doesn't seem to fit flush with the CPU, it looks like there more of a gap than there should be so I may either have too much thermal paste on it which is filling the gap too much or too little which isn't giving me enough contact. Either way, it's not terrible.

Back