• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

air cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh474

Registered
ok so iv been doing a custom pc and been playing around with air flow and this is what iv got im over clocking (so far up 2 3.2gh) and running a temp around 49c (104f) i was thing of putting a 120mm fan in bottom of case was thinking is it really worth doing?? or am i just be wasting my time?

PC_zpscfe1b4f4.png

Last edited:
I don't think anyone can pin down a specific amount of degrees C drop for adding the fans.

The key to keeping the components inside your case cool is having proper airFLOW. The debate between more intake/exhaust is never ending, but what is agreed upon is that more intake is less dusty assuming your intake has filters on them. That said, the rule of thumb for most cases is:

Front/sides = intake
top/rear = exhaust

tbh after a certain point adding case fans and high rpm fans gets to a point where it does less and less as you can only get the air going through the case so "cool" it can never be cooler than ambient temps.. what is the word... diminishing returns, yea. i mean doing more will cool it more but to what extent is unknown..

You can try pulling the case panel off and see if the temps drop, if they do you most likely need more airflow.

if noise or looks is not an issue... set every fan to exhaust and replace the door/side panel with a large box fan :)

thanks for all the advice ill try replacing the back fan to a 120mm first then go from there might have to get the drimmel out lol

Back