• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Duct for Radiator pulling from top??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vutamar

Hello,

I have been working on getting the maximum cooling from my PC. Right now everything runs at really good temps but summer is coming and i know my temps will start to creep up. The room i am in will get hot this summer, Portable AC unit is used, but it only keeps the room just bearable. I have also noticed the RTX 2080 runs much hotter than my previous 1050ti which brings me to my concern.

See Picture of Current Setup
Current.jpg .
With this im pulling heat from that video card thru the radiator.

What im debating on doing is adding a duct pulling air from the top connected to the radiator. To avoid pulling the hot air from inside the case or being how close intake and exhaust are on the top would this just create a heat loop and counteract any benefit?
COOLING DUCT.jpg

Would this setup be beneficial?

Thanks for your advice/opinions.

Vuta

Very doubtful. You would likely pull warm air in from the CPU rad and create a loop of recycled air. The layout at the top is the best option. If you can't reduce you rooms ambient temperature you'll be chasing your tail anyhow. If you haven't already be sure your system idles at a low clock and only overclocks during high load times. Also an aggressive fan curve could help stave of the higher temps but eventually you will get there if it's too warm in the room.

Do you have enough length in the hoses to move the CPU rad to the front as an intake? I don't believe it will make a significant difference or be necessary, but it would achieve what you are trying to do in a much more simple and effective manner. Best way to find the difference is to test it out. I believe there have been a number of Youtube videos and other posts on the topic if you want to search around.

Thanks guys for the input. I think im just going to stick with current setup and hope for the best. Will do some testing if the need arises this summer.

Thank You again.

I think the bottom chart (with the top intake) might work if you could satisfy Blaylock's objection with either a forward facing scoop or some kind of air dam.

Another approach would be to have your CPU rad on intake. As it is now, you draw air across the MB, which heats it before it goes into the rad.

In any case, consider removing your exhaust fan and cutting out the perforated metal wall that the case makers call a "grill." As you can see from this 2010 thread - https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-air-cooling/1594120-negative-pressure-rig-no-case-fans.html - doing away with rear "grills" and exhaust fans allows your exhaust air to exit silently.

Back