• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Optimization/Dust Elimination Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Levitys

Registered
Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if maybe you geniuses could help me out with an airflow/dust problem.
I recently build a Hackintosh in the corsair 650D (3 weeks ago) and I'm already seeing a dust build up.
I was thinking about dust filters but then I was reading that they will severely mess with my temps.
I have the Stock (replacing ASAP) 200mm Front Fan (Filtered with Stock Filter) Blowing air through the front, dual 140mm Cougar Fans exhausting out the top and then my intel radiator fan Exhausting out the back. My psu also is blowing out the back but this doesn't affect dust seeing as though it's upside down.

I've attached a few pics to give you guys a better look at everything.

I would really appreciate some feedback on this air-flow setup. Is this optimal? What would you change? Should I add Filters? Where? etc.

I look forward to seeing your replies!

Thanks Guys!
Levitys

24oynn7.png.jpg
c2hw1.png.jpg

Fans on top have wayyy to much leakage around them. Cap off the open holes around the fans.

That front fan might (usually is) weak. I don't think you have a lot of airflow in the case hostely. The intel watercooler rad restricts flow pretty good, and needs higher RPM than your willing to have.

Filters can/do restrict airflow. Lots of choice on filters and fans. You need airflow, get rid of the 200mm filter and blow out your PC more often.

Thanks for your reply! :) I have a couple of questions:

Cap off the open holes around the fans.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do this? all I can think of is black tape.:-/

The intel watercooler rad restricts flow pretty good, and needs higher RPM than your willing to have.

What do you mean Needs more Higher RPM than I am willing to have? I 'm willing to have more RPM if it means better temps.

Could you elaborate a bit?

Get a peice of thin aluminum, cut fan holes etc, paint it black and mount the fans to it and put the aluminum in. Cardboard, tape whatever fits your needs/skills.

Higher RPM means more noise. If thats what you need and okay with that, then okay.

More fannage equals more dust. You have to blow the dust out anyway though.

When you mean dust do you mean in 3 weeks it's already clogging stuff up or is it for looks?

i've seen these magnetic fan filters that you can stick to metal (like a magnet) and they stay in place. they seem pretty nice

I've got 1 cat which I want to get rid of, but my dam g/f won't let me :rolleyes:

Anyway I have no filters in my case and I clean out the dust/lint/cat hair like every 2 weeks or so. 1 week goes back and I already have the makings of a wool blanket comming off the intake of my rad and my video cards.

Dust/lint/animal hair is a part of owning a pc. You're going to have to perform normal maintenance to keep the pc clean. No other way around that.

Hey Guys!
Thanks for your replies!
I really appreciate your time.

I understand that there is going to be some dust and that regular maintenance is a must but it just seemed as though for 3 weeks it was quite a bit of dust. I have blown it out since I first posted. I was just wondering if my setup was "Dust" optimal and if their was anything else I could do to improve it. I really appreciate your help Conumdrum. I believe I will be getting some aluminum soon enough to do what you recommended.

It just seems as though by now they would have some kind of way of keeping all of the dust out without compromising on temperature too much. You think they would have some kind of dust free air conditioned case or something. I don't know, maybe I'm reaching a bit lol

I appreciate all your guys' help!

You rock!
Levitys

i think you have to sacrifice some air flow if you want more dust-proofing.

Back