• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Airflow Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

istari675

I am trying to improve the airflow to my graphics card. It currently maxes out at 78C when I am playing a demanding game, and I can get it to drop to 74C with the side panel off, or all the fans at 100%. My case is the Silent Base 801 and I am focused on keeping the tower as quiet as possible. I have 3 intake fans, and 2 exhaust fans shown. I am looking into low budget solutions to improve airflow without increasing the sound by a dramatic amount. I also am trying to keep it as a positive pressure system, as this case has dust filters in the front. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RhhsVkwS3gy0B5QkwSjRXJFbgTFmicTM/view?usp=sharing

Its the Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1. I have it overclocked a bit. I recently switched it to the inverted mount, but it was the same temps at normal orientation as well. I only swapped it so I could get better use of the top exhaust port. That top port was basically blocked off by the massive Noctua cooling for the CPU.

78C is right where it wants to be, really. The cards are designed to run at that temperature. :)

EDIT: That bottom fan... have it as intake as well...it's blowing directly on the GPU, right?

The front fans are intake. The top and back fans are exhaust. The case does not have a filter on the top so I wont be able to have it as intake. There is a filter on the bottom, but in any orientation the air would need to go through the mess that is the shroud to make it to the graphics card.

I was looking for ways to turn a few PCI slots on a case into a fan mount. Something like those PCI exhaust blowers, but mounting it vertically over the slots so I can use a nice fan. I have used a blower before and they are as loud as thunder, so they dont seem very appealing.

Oops.. I get the orientation now... hmm...

Did you try switching it exactly opposite? Those two intakes and three exhaust? The intakes blow right on the devices you want to run cooler while three fans take it...I know... no filter, but you can make one or not worry about the dust intake/clean a bit more frequently.

I can give it a try, but that would have enough air coming in. If you take a look at the top of the case that top fan only has some small slits to get air through. Seems like an odd choice since that top slit is supposed to be able to support 3 fan radiators.

I plan to be upgrading the CPU/mobo/ram once the zen 3 comes out, so that why I am accepting on it being in the second PCI slot. Once I upgrade all that I will be picking out a mobo that has a bit more room between the CPU and first PCI slot. Right now the graphics card is pressed against the CPU cooler when its in the first slot.

You can also purchase aftermarket filters for individual fans. Remove the bottom fan shroud with it's filter and put an aftermarket filter on the intake side of the bottom fan.

If you cannot reduce or increase the amount of Intake fans, I have a workaround for you.
Use the third party air filters to let Intake fans be replaced by exhaust fans.

Also, 78C is what most GPUs run at.
There is nothing wrong with anything below or equal to 78C

I did a review of this case back in 2015 - https://www.overclockers.com/quiet-silent-base-800-case-review/.
I would suggest first off that you try cutting out the rear 'grill' and eschew your exhaust fan. You can cover the cut edges with Gorilla tape -- I have tried a variety of methods and this is the best. This will improve your exhaust while lowering your noise. I have been doing this since 2010.

If it were me, I would use the top as an intake. 3 in 1 out doesn't seem ideal, but the positive pressure will push air out wherever it can. As for filters.. just get yourself a datavac. You will find you will have to clean your filters often if dust is a concern. Your GPU temp is about 10-12c higher than mine, granted mine is just a 980.

Back