• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware ALX Watercooling - PICTURES

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
clocker2 said:
Such a statement shows either a willful disregard for how a business HAS to operate or total ignorance of same.
Unlike you, Alienware ( and any other company) has to pay for:
-employee labor/benefits
-R&D
-ALL of the software
-normal business expenses and taxes
And on top of that, they expect to make a profit.

So what if you could build a comparable machine for less ( which in this case I don't think you could)?
Try building a thousand of them and then marketing them for the $2500 you consider to be a reasonable price.

Hope you enjoy living in a cardboard box.

Oh but you forget, they pay less per unit of an item than we do... they get special bbulk discounts.... alienware is in cohorts with nvidia, and alienware seems to always have an nvidia card as teh first choice.... then yo uadd the fact that their workers are mostly cubans... or other poorer class poeple that only need to read the book they are givin, for solving problems, ive heard they dont pay them much, then there is the fact that since alienware is makign almost 1200 bucks frokm the saving per computer, they can use it as reseach, funding for cheap labor and employee's, anything they want...
Thir software comes cheap too, if not free... their vidoe card tweaker, the one they charge 10 or whatever bucks for, is simply freeware, i have it myself.. all they do is rename it... Windows is discounted, they buy that oem, and bulk, antivrus can be obtained free, or they give you trial versions.... 1 month or whatever...
they get tax breaks since its all business expenses....
The duel card thing is being made with the help of alienware's use of the SLI technology.... I havnt seen any ati cards that would be able to do that, or even have teh support for it.... only nvida, and thats prolly why they only benched 2x nvidia cards( also could be the partnership thing since nvidia and alienware are pals, not alienware and ati)....
EVEN WITH ALL OF ALIENWARE'S EXPENSES, THEY STILL AMKE 400-500 BUCKS PER PC!!

I have calculated that it would take around 7000 bucks for the real alx system... and thats without norton antivirus... monitors, speakers... but some generic keyboards and mice...

[/sarcasm]
WHAT A DEAL!!! :attn:
[sarcasm/]

P.S. Alienware was able to start off with bank loans, and investors..... no money was needed by them... they pay off everyone in the long run...
So its basically free marketin gand thousands of pcs...

Last edited:
Alienware is not making "proprietary technology", instead it rebrands OEM equipment. SLI-ready (dual PCI Express 16x) mobos are already announced by a couple of mfgers, and others will follow suit i suppose. Alienware had simply some kind of exclusive contract with NVidia to have a prototype SLI setup. Still it's way overpriced.

Also, what was criticized, was the watercooling solution, because it was ON TOPIC. I never heard of evaluating watercooling setups with 3DMark.

SureFoot said:
Also, what was criticized, was the watercooling solution, because it was ON TOPIC. I never heard of evaluating watercooling setups with 3DMark.
Oh.
I've never heard of "evaluating" a cooling setup without performance data, but I don't get around much.

clocker2 said:
Oh.
I've never heard of "evaluating" a cooling setup without performance data, but I don't get around much.
That's your 3rd inflammatory comment in this topic.. Cooling ability of koolance setups has already been evaluated.. So it's inflammatory and false: it's called a *troll*. Please cease this behaviour.

SureFoot said:
So it's inflammatory and false: it's called a *troll*. Please cease this behaviour.
Inflammatory why?
Because you disagree?
Not visible in the posted pictures are the pump OR radiator, nor is there any performance data/claims from Alienware about the cooling, yet somehow you have managed to "evaluate" the system and dismiss it as a POS.
Questioning the validity of such an evaluation under these circumstances doesn't strike me as trolling, more an exercise in common sense.

clocker2 said:
Inflammatory why?
Because you disagree?
Not visible in the posted pictures are the pump OR radiator, nor is there any performance data/claims from Alienware about the cooling, yet somehow you have managed to "evaluate" the system and dismiss it as a POS.
Look, the photos posted show a revamped koolance setup.
Same waterblocks, same pipe diameter, and most important, same rad.
The radiator is maybe the most important part in a watercooling setup - unless the waterblocks are very poor indeed - and it's what makes the difference with air cooling.
Koolance rigs have been tested years ago - and from what i've seen they haven't changed much.

clocker2 said:
Questioning the validity of such an evaluation under these circumstances doesn't strike me as trolling, more an exercise in common sense.
Common sense such as "water must move slowly to pick/drop heat" ? I would say "common mistakes"... Please do your homework.

Common sense says: paying MORE than $300 for a pre-built koolance setup is not a good idea... (IIRC you can get pre-built koolance cases for around that price)

The pictures posted of the Alienware setup don't show the radiator or pump at all.
You assume that are similar to systems you have seen in the past ( although you do allow that it may be "revamped").
Given the lack of hard data, your "evaluation" falls to the level of a thinly disguised "opinion", which, of course, you are perfectly free to express.
As am I.

We didnt see the same photos.. The one i saw were in page 1 of this topic.

fafnir said:
the radiator from the exos:

ccs-p15_02.jpg

_
We see the side of the rad on the top photo as well.

As for the pump, since they use tiny (.. puny) waterblocks, tiny tubing, tiny rad.. they won't throw a MCW600 or an Eheim 1250 in there... more likely they'll use a tiny pump similar to the koolance one (since they use full koolance setup..) is that far-fetched ?

And even without the pump in the equation: with THAT rad and THOSE waterblocks, this is NOT even a medium performance cooling loop.

So give me a break, please.

Guys enough already, I have read all of this thread now & was definately interested in what Alienware is doing & things you guys have pointed out. If you guys wish to argue though, please take it to PM'S. I don't feel like wasting my time watching a bunch of school girls argue.

This Alienware setup looks pretty darn sweet. Somewhere around August it debutes? I personally would NEVER buy one, but props to anything that looks as unique as this unit.

obsolete said:
Guys enough already, I have read all of this thread now & was definately interested in what Alienware is doing & things you guys have pointed out. If you guys wish to argue though, please take it to PM'S. I don't feel like wasting my time watching a bunch of school girls argue.

Okay.

Sorry.

Well, lets analyse what Alienware offers to the "average joe" over the average gaming/rendering system (most popular) from Dell or Compaq

1. Watercooling setup

2. Dual Graphics Card technology

3. Modded out kickass looking case

4. Upgradable parts

5. This isnt different from Dell or Compaq but i have to mention it anyway, CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Lets analyse each point:

1. The average Joe wont really mess with watercooling and setting it up can be risky, or so most of them think. This is already done for you by Alienware and carries a warranty too, so any spills or accidents are all insured by Alienware for their peace of mind.

2. This is some special technology that nobody other than Alienware has. I dont see any motherboard manufacturer getting their hands on this technology for a while because Alienware can and will patent it and monopolize on it for a while.

3. Face it guys, even the best premodded case cant beat the contours, shapes and paint job that Alienware offers on their cases. Anyway, your average Joe wont be taking a dremal to his case anytime soon, they have to stick with your plain old beige boxes, or maybe an OK premodded box. The case is a major selling point for Alienware and a very big helping hand for the average Joe to own a modded out trinked out gaming/rendering computer, which is nothing to be scoffed at in a LAN party.

4. No crap like weak custom PSUs from Dell. Mainly uses off the shelf components cept for the motherboard. Completely modular and upgradable, nothing daunting for an inexperianced computer user.

5. The last and most important point. Alienware offers customer support to all customers. Alienware markets these computers to your average gamer without much knowledge of hardware. If something goes wrong with their hardware, they have to take it to a repair shop somewhere and pay the guys there to fix it. Alienware can provide some excellent customer support, may it be technical, hardware related, software related or even sales related.

You must not forget that Alienware is a company (yes i know it's been mentioned, just elaborating) that distributes high performance PCs. At the end of the day, they are looking to make money. If any of you have studied business, they have, what is called a First Mover's Advantage, meaning that they were the first to develop this dual graphics card technology. It allows them to brand their name on it and pretty much immortalize their company if that goes mainstream. They priced it high to attract the premium performance crowd, the rich gamers who dont have much hardware knowledge. Gives the product a sort of prestigue feel. It's also a pricing strategy since they have a unique product, they can price it so that they make a supernormal profit because there is no substitute, unless you're a computer hardware enthusiast and can make a heavily overclocked system which can beat it in games.

In short, Alienware's making a very good move in developing this dual graphics card technology, not only for itself, but for the PC community as a whole. The whole high price thing is very understandable, considering the points i made further up this post.

For the whole watercooling thing being crap.

1st, Alienware wont include an expensive watercooling system if they could just use a stock heatsink to prevent overheating. Why not keep cooling cheap to keep prices low and profits high?
2nd, Alienware rarely overclocks their system (i beleive they use Intel boards most of the time so, they cant be overclocked) so the most important thing for them is to keep the heat levels in check to prevent crashes. That usually allows thresholds of up to mid 50's to 60s celcius on load temps. This is someting that the Koolance system should be able to do with flying colours. The second most important issue is noise. Alienware needs to keep noise down to reduce the cons to their products. Maybe the stock cooling solution was too loud and any aftermarket air cooled heatsinks for it were too?
3rd, your average Joe dosnt give a damn about how high the temps are. As long as the computer kicks *** in games and runs stably without crashing, the customer will be happy. so load temps in the mid 50's are very much acceptable.

If you use some even better cooling systems, Alienware may have to buy their own components, have their own technicians put it together. The extra man hours spent on that may cost even more than the koolance system for minimal gain (may be great temp wise, but not company wise). Plus, production time of the computer will take even longer, which can make for an impatient customer.

Im sure Alienware is full of smart talented people who know exactly what their doing. They have to strike a balance between the interests of the company and the interests of the customer. The customer is typically a slightly computer literate gamer with a good amount of dough on them. They wont have the ability to critically analize the system like we do and point out the individual flaws, such as high temps and a cheap watercooling system. As long as the system performs well in games and benchmarks, the end customer will be happy. There is no room for us overclockers for Alienware to sell to. If they start catering to our community, they are in the wrong market.

NovaShine said:
1. The average Joe wont really mess with watercooling and setting it up can be risky, or so most of them think. This is already done for you by Alienware and carries a warranty too, so any spills or accidents are all insured by Alienware for their peace of mind.
That was done by Koolance already, and some smaller shops, especially in Germany where it's commonplace.

NovaShine said:
2. This is some special technology that nobody other than Alienware has. I dont see any motherboard manufacturer getting their hands on this technology for a while because Alienware can and will patent it and monopolize on it for a while.
No. Several manufacturers announced their twin PCI-Express mobos, IIRC it was last week. (it was covered around the news sites)
And i don't remember Alienware as a mobo manufacturer. I don't think they have any semiconductor facility. They have good OEM deals with some first-tier actors though.

NovaShine said:
3. Face it guys, even the best premodded case cant beat the contours, shapes and paint job that Alienware offers on their cases.
This is debatable.. Again either small shops or some good retailers in EU carry nice eye-candy cases. After that which is more beautiful is a matter of taste.. But surely not worth an inflated price tag.

NovaShine said:
4. No crap like weak custom PSUs from Dell. Mainly uses off the shelf components cept for the motherboard. Completely modular and upgradable, nothing daunting for an inexperianced computer user.
Again, many shops in EU do that already.

NovaShine said:
5. The last and most important point. Alienware offers customer support to all customers.
And another time, this is what every shop around here does already. Arguably the quality of support is quite random, but so is Alienware's.

NovaShine said:
Alienware markets these computers to your average gamer without much knowledge of hardware. If something goes wrong with their hardware, they have to take it to a repair shop somewhere and pay the guys there to fix it. Alienware can provide some excellent customer support, may it be technical, hardware related, software related or even sales related.
"excellent" ? That's again debatable. I know people who had to use Alienware support.. no better than Dell.. A good point for them, they replace the whole comp when something fishy is going on.

NovaShine said:
they have, what is called a First Mover's Advantage, meaning that they were the first to develop this dual graphics card technology.
OK for the "first mover", but i doubt THEY developed the SLI tech. The fact that it was in PCI Express spec sheets, and that some rumors around mobo mfgers were running about 16x or dual 8x, implies that R&D labs were already at work.

NovaShine said:
It allows them to brand their name on it and pretty much immortalize their company if that goes mainstream. They priced it high to attract the premium performance crowd, the rich gamers who dont have much hardware knowledge. Gives the product a sort of prestigue feel.
Absolutely.

NovaShine said:
(...)
In short, Alienware's making a very good move in developing this dual graphics card technology, not only for itself, but for the PC community as a whole. The whole high price thing is very understandable, considering the points i made further up this post.
I think they'll sell some units indeed. But again, the watercooling setup is far from eye-widening.

For instance i was very impressed by Apple with their new dual-G5 thingie. THIS was innovation, even if their watercooling loop is not top-notch performance, it's very well made, and made to last. And run silently. The airflow design, the positioning of each element, all are well thought.

NovaShine said:
For the whole watercooling thing being crap.

1st, Alienware wont include an expensive watercooling system if they could just use a stock heatsink to prevent overheating. Why not keep cooling cheap to keep prices low and profits high?
2nd, Alienware rarely overclocks their system (i beleive they use Intel boards most of the time so, they cant be overclocked) so the most important thing for them is to keep the heat levels in check to prevent crashes. That usually allows thresholds of up to mid 50's to 60s celcius on load temps. This is someting that the Koolance system should be able to do with flying colours. The second most important issue is noise. Alienware needs to keep noise down to reduce the cons to their products. Maybe the stock cooling solution was too loud and any aftermarket air cooled heatsinks for it were too?
3rd, your average Joe dosnt give a damn about how high the temps are. As long as the computer kicks *** in games and runs stably without crashing, the customer will be happy. so load temps in the mid 50's are very much acceptable.
Absolutely ! Still, what runs into the mind of people who pay $10000 for a single computer...

NovaShine said:
If you use some even better cooling systems, Alienware may have to buy their own components, have their own technicians put it together. The extra man hours spent on that may cost even more than the koolance system for minimal gain (may be great temp wise, but not company wise). Plus, production time of the computer will take even longer, which can make for an impatient customer.
This is more debatable. Is a Koolance kit really easier to integrate than say, a Danger Den kit ? Or even easier, a Swiftech kit ? I always applaude at Swiftech products for their user-friendliness: their watercooling hardware is maybe the most newbie-friendly (and thus, the easier to integrate in a PC case). I'm not certain that a full Swifty kit would be harder to put in.

NovaShine said:
Im sure Alienware is full of smart talented people who know exactly what their doing. They have to strike a balance between the interests of the company and the interests of the customer. The customer is typically a slightly computer literate gamer with a good amount of dough on them. They wont have the ability to critically analize the system like we do and point out the individual flaws, such as high temps and a cheap watercooling system. As long as the system performs well in games and benchmarks, the end customer will be happy. There is no room for us overclockers for Alienware to sell to. If they start catering to our community, they are in the wrong market.
Yeah i think so as well.
That won't prevent me from thinking that the watercooling loop is less than stellar. And that any tech-savvy would-be buyer will cringe at the price tag...

Pouey said:
Everyone puts the koolance systems down, but I just bought one and it's excellent! My mobile 2600 is running 2700mhz and I keep it under 45 C at full load with my koolance's lowest setting. It's silent perfection, I don't understand the problems everyone else has with them.

I also have a Exos. As I've stated in couple of other threads I'm running at 2.5 GHz at 33-35C on MBM5 with ambient of 28 C. Seems pretty good to me. Not the best but not laughable either. Thing requires just about no maintenance. It has 2 pumps so it can limp along when one goes out. It would presumably ramp up the fans if the temps get higher but it never does since the temps are too low. I've been to 2.625 GHz (210x12.5) but that doesnt seem to start the fans going high either. ( 38C on MBM5 if i recollect correctly). I went back down because I dont feel like cranking the voltages too much on my ram.. Even though they are CH-5s. ;) I have them set at fairly standard 2-3-2-8 at 2.7v.

I had some trepidations about its performance before I got it but now I wonder what all the fuss was about. I like the monitoring capabilities this thing has as well as the somewhat better reliability of 2 pumps. It can even shut the PC down if the temps start to runaway.. though whether it would do that before the motherboard is debatable. All in all an acceptable tradeoff for me.

As far as the Alienware unit does (so to stay at least a little on topic ;) ) it does seem a bit overpriced but then that's what usually happens to anything that incorporates a "performance" proprietary technology. Regardless of the said technology's longevity. Would I buy it? No. But I'm sure someone would.

EDIT: all temps are Loaded using prime95 running for a couple of hrs.

Who says the pay 10k for a PC? Its obvious you just like to argue, Surefoot. You keep on bringing up EU, like that helps people in the US or Canada at all.

All you people who keep ranting about how good the koolance is think about this. The koolance tests we have seen have been for one normal heat cpu and one normal heat VPU. Now we are dealing with dual prescotts, put out MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF HEAT like 100watts each, and dual 6800u's or x800xts, both aren't exactly cool running. I highly doubt any run of the mill koolance can keep this below 50c and thats with a low ambient. They are cooling close to 350 watts and thats something thats going to be quite hard.

Sorry, but do any of you think that Alienware would be stupid enough to put in a system which won't work?

Read reviews of past products... how about 5 years of past products? Which one has said "Good parts, but the final implementation sucks, box keeps crashing on us etc"?

None.

I'm _SURE_ Alienware did their homework (ffs the employees do this as their FULLTIME job, not some basement stuffs) and just because YOU HAVEN'T TESTED IT YOURSELF doesn't mean the system will suck because it has 2 prescottes or 2 6800u/x800xt.... do you REALLY think a company this old and this fsking good will put out a **** product just because they can? This ain't your walmart company, this is a no bull**** performance company.

I'm not saying itll be good, but itll do the job, the job THEY intend it to do. So stop ranting back and forth about the system because none of you have even seen one in real life, let alone tested the *****.

Phaeton, this is precisely the point I was trying to make, but "Everyone knows how "good performers" koolance setups are.. even mild custom air cooling can do better (and arguably for no more noise)"
so clearly, the engineers at Alienware have been duped into using an inferior cooling solution for their new top-of-the-line release.
It's a real shame, wouldn't you agree?

NovaShine said:
3. Face it guys, even the best premodded case cant beat the contours, shapes and paint job that Alienware offers on their cases. Anyway, your average Joe wont be taking a dremal to his case anytime soon, they have to stick with your plain old beige boxes, or maybe an OK premodded box. The case is a major selling point for Alienware and a very big helping hand for the average Joe to own a modded out trinked out gaming/rendering computer, which is nothing to be scoffed at in a LAN party.

damn thats a hella long reply.
i agree with you on most things but i have to disagree with you on what i just quoted from you. i have seen modded cases that would make the water cooling setup in the alienware cry...

clocker, there has to be SOME reasoning we arent quite grasping here... companies like alienware dont fk up on their flagship systems :)

My system is priming at this very moment at 2600mhz, its 35 degrees celcius...with a koolance. It's silent, I hear nothing but my hard drives. If that isn't performance, I don't know what is.

Back