• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware Aurous R11 3080 i9 10900k Turbo Boost not working correctly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

Hey all,

I have the computer listed in the subject and in my signature. An Alienware Aurous R11 3080 i9 10900k. When I load optimized defaults the computer locks itself at 4.7ghz. It doesn't go above ever. If I put the power on balanced it will temporarily go to 1ghz etc, but once I do anything it goes right back to 4.7ghz. Which I know is the power saving feature. If I put the power to performance it stays locked at 4.7ghz.

My question is. Shouldn't it be bouncing from 3.7ghz to 5.3ghz based on core usage? It never ever does this. This is very frustrating because I just want the cpu to work as it was originally designed. Bounce from 3.7ghz to 5.1/5.3ghz based on usage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again. I loaded optimzed defaults. Hyperthreading is enabled, speed step is enabled, speed shift is enabled, xmp1 profile is enabled. overclocking is DISABLED. I just want it to act as intended.

*UPDATE*
Even when running cinebench single core it locks all cores to 4.7ghz. It's doing no stepping or focusing on utilizing less cores to maximize performance.

For refrencee
IMG_3234.jpg
IMG_3235.jpg
IMG_3236.jpg

Yes, it should. Try intel XTU and see if it shows a throttling reason when just sitting there.

What is the 'overclocking' option in the bios? What about performance options?

It is not throttling, since it never goes below 4.7ghz when on performance mode. It just stays locked at 4.7ghz.

When you click "performance optioons" it goes to the overclocking screen (seen as pic #2). The "overclocking options" are just that. The ability to lock frequency or use one of 2 pre-configured options provided by Dell.

I currently have another thread trying to figure out how to get my i9 10900kf cpu to run as intended by Intel (3.7ghz to 5.3ghz with each core clocking independently to maximize performance based on cpu load). I am not having any luck and tech support isn't either. Thinking of saying screw it and using XTU to force it to work as originally desisgned. If I can, how?

Alienware R11 10900kf, RTX 3080, 1000 Watt psu
Heat is fine.

AFAIK, XTU only sets static clocks...you can try forcing turbo and see if that helps though.

Not familiar with the system, what is it doing now if not what Intel intended? Is it pre-overclocked? Do they have a custom mobo or is it one from a general manufacturer?

I know XTU can set n-core clocks e.g. 1 core use is x GHz, n core use is y GHz. Is that what is required?

It's running at the all core clockspeed only (4.7). The system isn't boosting at all when using fewer cores/threads. 4.7 ghz is stock not overclocked.

Found the other thread and skimmed it. In checking up, it looks like 4.8 GHz is the all core boost clock, and 4.9 GHz all core with TVB. So 4.7 doesn't fit in with that.

What does XTU report as the CPU limits?

In Windows power profile thing, check the max CPU is set to 100%. If it is less than 100% for any reason, that can lead to weird things with clocks.

Oops, that's right. Not sure why I was thinking 4.7 GHz... :screwy:

Something is amiss regardless.... and since this is all intertwined with the other thread, I think it's best to merge them.

Ran Unigine heaven benchmark....no throttling

View attachment 214056

After you test out what Mack said, what does Intel XTU say about throttling reasons? There are several listed that aren't in the image I'm curious about.

To clarify I was thinking about core multiplier limits, although any other limits activating would be interesting. Diagnosis is easier in person than remotely.

I asked for Dell support. And I was actually quite impressed that they ran mostly modern day benchmarks and used mostly modern day monitoring software. There conclusion was that:

"we did not find anything wrong with your CPU. Itis important to understand that the processor will never maintain its top speed all the time on all cores as it will increase the speed depending on the work load."

Which was not my concern...my concern was (and I sent Dell this):

"My concern is not that the top speed. My concern is the bottom speed. The processor is not functioning as designed. The processor should "turbo boost" up and then throttle down based on load. "

I thought it would be more clear in isolating one question at a time and simplifying the question. I also want to know why ALL the cores are locked, and don't clock up and down based on load.

To answer one of the questions. Yes this is a custom motherboard provided by DELL.

Back