• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All you beasts running Crossfire / SLI ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rogue505

Registered
I have a question for you :). My system is in my sig. In addition to that I have: 1 HDD, 1 external DVD and a ****load of fans.

If I at some point decide to install another 6950, how horribly bad is that idea if I don't upgrade the 650W PSU first? :chair:

If you would call me a blithering idiot for even thinking about attempting it, then I'd like to know how much wattage would be recommended to have some headroom. Maybe you'll even be so awesome as to recommend a PSU 4 me? :p

Thanks! :D

You actually aren't an idiot. That would be risky and not recommended but you probably could just manage. 750 watt would be a much better idea, but really 850 watt to have some cushion. At 650 watt you really will be pushing its limits every time you game so I'd suggest a new PSU. If you de-overclock your system a little you could get away with it. How about you flash that 6950 to a 6970?

I wouldn't overclock much or unlock the gpus with that Psu, but it will handle it fine. You want to unlock and push the gpus a 750tx would be fine. You are just on the edge with that 650w.

My sig rig consumes 330w at the wall while gaming. Just as a comparison, pretty similar rigs in the end, plus mine has more fans and a pump. LinX + Furmark puts it over 550w at the wall.

You have a good unit, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have problems ;)

tool_462: Nice system. What kind of PSU do you use if you don't mind me asking? I hooked my case to a gizmo and it managed to pull as much as 420W during prime + metro2033 benchmark. Any thoughts on that? What does draw from the wall mean for the actual load of the PSU?

@BiG terminator: I'll get around to trying that out really soon, so far I didn't have the time because I was testing how much I can OC my CPU while it being stable and not melt down with the current cooling :) Done. It actually worked. Been benchmarking the whole day, looking for artifacts too, none to be found :)

Last edited:
Back