• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Almost there..Rad questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperTuner12010

Alright guys I have contemplated on building a loop for my rig, after much reading Iv decided I am ready to start getting parts togetehr and get this build going. Money wont be a big issue, income tax will be here soon :thup:

Rig is in sig, only difference will be the addition of another 6950 which I plan on putting both under water. Just want to get rad and block figured out so I can get the best adequate pump for it.

My propsed loop flow is as follows...
Res-> Pump-> 360mm top mount rad-> CPU Block-> Rad?->Both GPU Blocks->Res

Im not sure what rad to go with after cpu though, a beefy 120 on the back interior. Not sure If I want to mount a rad via exterior. So I thought maybe removing the front hard drive bays and mounting a 240mm rad there so as water leaves the cpu it goes into this rad and then into the gpu's.

I know this would create lower temps but the added size in rad, and hose length leads me to believe I might need something better than a D5 Vario.

Components im looking at, havent decided on fittings or hose as of yet:
jgjfgjfgjkf.jpg

Loop order doesn't matter, this is covered in the sticky...I think you should read that.

So what your saying? Is if ran water straight from the cpu and to the gpu's that the temps would be the same as if there was a rad to dissipate heat from the cpu before it eneters the gpus?

Im not one to argue but I just dont see how :shrug:

The water is not individual molecules, it's a body of water. You'll see <2C difference in the two different configurations. The interaction between the molecules of water transfers the heat. The temperature from your rad inlet to your rad outlet is only a few C anyways (like 2-3), which pretty well proves the heating of your loop occurs uniformly.

The water is not individual molecules, it's a body of water. You'll see <2C difference in the two different configurations. The interaction between the molecules of water transfers the heat. The temperature from your rad inlet to your rad outlet is only a few C anyways (like 2-3), which pretty well proves the heating of your loop occurs uniformly.

Im no chemist but that makes sence, Ill take your word for it.

In that case. The single 360 rad would be suffecient with the 1*120 per block calc. the extra rad would deffinetly help but worth the extra $70?

That will deffinetly save on hose thugh...

I'm not sure where you get 120.1/block...that puts a NB and a GTX580 with the same thermal requirements...and I don't think that's quite how it works :D

Rather than calculate your rad requirements based on number of blocks, you should do so based on the watts of heat that need to be dissipated. Once you figure that out, and depending on whether you want silent operation or not, then you can figure out what rads and fans you'll need. It's covered in the stickies, so if you haven't given those a read, I highly suggest you begin there.

120.1/block is really outdated... for that CPU + Card I personally would do 120.4 but since your adding the 2nd in I wouldnt go less than the 120.5 you currently have priced..

Also regarding your pump question, I love the 35X as many do here and the extra 20$ you spend on it will be worth it when you expand to 2 cards 2rads cpu and whatever else.

Yah I got that figure from the sticky here
My personal quick and dirty rule of thumb (and this will probably be disputed) when using high quality radiators (that is important) is to use a 120.1-per-block within reason. So, if you’re running say an AMD 1090T, a chipset block and a single GPU, a quality 120.3 would give you decent temps

I know the 360 and the 240 woulnt have any problems keeping them cool. Calculated wattage of my 2500k at 4.8ghz is 170w.

Once you have the wattage of CPU and GPU you can go here http://skinneelabs.com/ and find out how much wattage per RPM the Rad can dissipate.

You might want to calculate in the 2nd GPU as well. And from what I have seen out of My RX360 cooling 2 6950s and a 2600K with 1000rpm yates temps were about on par with Air...

With a single RX 360 with 1000RPM fans (silent) you can dissipate about 350W you are pushing about ~600W with 2GPU and CPU (margin of error ~80W)

Once you have the wattage of CPU and GPU you can go here http://skinneelabs.com/ and find out how much wattage per RPM the Rad can dissipate.

You might want to calculate in the 2nd GPU as well. And from what I have seen out of My RX360 cooling 2 6950s and a 2600K with 1000rpm yates temps were about on par with Air...

Well thats kind of discouraging lol

Ill look into that right now, thanks for the link. I guess im gonna have to look into rads a bit more.

A much more solid rule of thumb is 100W/120.1...but that's VERY rough (way better than 120.1 per block though lol)

So I guess a good rule of thumb would be the more rads you can fit the better lol

Trying to figure out the gpus wattage under full load. Im seeing like 250w each. Thats almost 700w. That cant be right...

With a single RX 360 with 1000RPM fans (silent) you can dissipate about 350W you are pushing about ~600W with 2GPU and CPU (margin of error ~80W)

Nah, you're looking at about 160W or so a piece :)

Alright thanks, yah I couldnt see them using that much. So Now im looking at a total of 500w. In which case the rads should suffice, now I shall see what fans to run. when using a fan shroud, do you still want fans with high static pressure?

Since you already have 2 AP-15's you could get 3 more and you would be set with the best RAD fans out there, unless you are going to use those in another build.

Back