• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alpha 8045 vs. Thermalright 947U

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawkeye_wx

I currently still use an Alpha PAL 8045 with an 80mm 40cfm fan to cool my TBred B 2GHz(1.6v). I just ordered a mobile Barton 2600+ that I plan on overclocking as much as possible while keeping the vcore no higher than about 1.7v. I was just going to keep using the current cooler, but I noticed SVC has the Thermalright 947U for $20(add a 92mm fan + shipping = $40). I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum, so would the upgrade to a 947U be worth the cost? Remember, I'm not going to be pushing the cpu to its limit like most people in here do. My max heat limit would be if I decide to push the cpu to 2.4 GHz @ 1.75v.

I have that cpu and I run it at 2.5 @ 1.725 vcore with the 947U. My max temps under load generally stay under 50c, but from I hear the Abit boards are known to state higher temps than what it really is. I'd say the 947U is definitely worth the $20.

Back