• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alphacool NexXxos XP Rev2 block with an Alpenföhn Atlas mounting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alcsi69

Hey guys!

I'm really new to this custom watercooling thingy, and I'd like to build a loop for my 775 OC rig.

I could buy an Alphacool NexXxos XP Rev2 block for a really good price. The only downside is that it hasn't got the original mounting accessories. Do you guys think I could mount it with the Alpenföhn Atlas's mounting kit?

Also what do you guys think about this block? Is it considered good, or meh? :)

Not even close to the same mounting, that hardware won't without some custom fab work.

Not even close to the same mounting, that hardware won't without some custom fab work.

I could buy a 775 mounting kit for it. Is it worth it for $35 with the mounting kit, or should I buy like a Phobya UC-1 Extreme for $55? Is there a difference in performance? :)

There's a lot that goes into performance besides just the block. Rad(s), fans, pump(s), other components in the loop, etc.

How much can you get the XP Rev2 for? You can get the XP3 Light for $62 brand new which mounts to 775 boards.
You could even get an Eisblock XPX for $73 brand new which also mounts to 775 boards.
Both of those are very good blocks with simple mounting hardware that is easy to use.

I could get the XP Rev2 for $25. A 775 mounting kit would be $10 for it. So it's $35 all in all. Or it isn't worth it this way?

I could get the XP Rev2 for $25. A 775 mounting kit would be $10 for it. So it's $35 all in all. Or it isn't worth it this way?

Oh, I thought you meant the mounting by itself is $35. For a total of $35, go for it, just make sure the block has never been used with any dyes and make sure to clean it thoroughly before use.

Allright, thank you.
Another question: can I use an 5.25 bay reservoir if I don't even have a case for this 775 rig? Or it doesn't really matter? :D

As long as you have some way to mount the reservoir higher than the rest of the loop it doesn't matter what it's mounted to.
The 5.25 bay reservoirs are just convenient to drop into an ODD bay.

Oh, so the reservoir should be higher than the pump and the block and stuff? That's good to know. :D
I'll swap the CPU a lot, because of OCing a lot of CPUs. That's why I don't have a case for this PC. But I can definitely put the reservoir higher than everything else. :)

The reservoir should be the highest point, the pump inlet needs to hook directly to the reservoir outlet.

Oh allright.
The above mentioned XP Rev2 was used with some branded blue liquid. Is it a problem? :-/ The liquid was: Ekwb EK-Ekoolant EVO Premix UV.

Last edited:
Have you read the stickies here? A lot of valuable basics that will fill in some knowledge gaps. :)

Even if it's an EK branded fluid, it isn't good? That's sad. :/

Would an Alphacool Laing DDC310 with an Alphacool Eisbecher DDC 150mm be good? I also think I'll buy the XP3 Light instead of the XP Rev2, because it wouldn't be much more cheaper.

for a socket 775 rig you wont need anymore than the very basest gear to keep it cool. i would go with the block you have lined up. just take it apart (good way to get a feel for how wcing works) clean it up with ketchup first (let sit for a few minutes) then if needed use something stronger like clr. make sure to rinse it very well. then go with the cheapest pump you can find along with a small res. if its for a test/oc rig i would go with barbs vs compression fittings. barbs and worm clamps will take a true beating and never flinch. tubing is up to you but i generally go with 1/2 x 3/4in tubing.
the ddc310 is solid but i have no experience with the res. for a rad i would go with a solid 2x120x30-40mm. to keep costs down i would look at a xspc or hardwarelabs. they both have good low cost copper/brass cored rads.

Back