• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buildlog - Project Red Dragon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beakersoft

(PART 1, I will update more later!)

After building my first gaming rig in ages last year (I was an xbox man for a long time!), I decided it was time to have a go at my first custom water cooling loop, and just to make things more interesting I decided to go for hard tubing and well! :-/

This thread is a breakdown of what components I used, what I learnt and some pretty pictures of the different stages of the build. Hopefully people might find it interesting and it might help/inspire people as well.

Hardware Components

• Case - Corsair Obsidan 350D. I choose this case as I wanted to do a smallish form build, and also have a side window to see the inner workings of the machine. This case seemed to fit the bill nicely
  • Motherboard - MSI Z87M-GAMING Micro-ATX
  • CPU- Intel i5-4690k. K series equal overclocking potential
  • GPU- MSI Geforce GTX 970
  • Memory- 8G Corsair Vengeance DDR3
  • Power Supply- Corsair RM Series 450W
  • Hard Disk(s)- 1x Kingston SV300S37A/V300 120GB (for OS) and 1x Crucial 500gb (for games/files)

Watercooling Components

• Radiators- Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm (x2) (30mm thick as any thicker would not fit in the case)
  • Pump- Alphacool Laing DDC310
  • Reservoir- Phobya Balancer 150
  • CPU Block- XSPC RayStorm CPU WaterBlock
  • GPU Block- EK-FC970 GTX TF5 (seemed by far and away the best option for the 970)
  • Tubing- Alphacool HardTube 13/10mm Plexi Clear
  • Fittings- Alphacool HT 13mm HardTube compression fitting
  • Fans- 120mm Corsair Air Series SP120 PWM Quiet Edition
  • Coolant- XSPC E6 Blood Red

Extras

I also needed a few extra bits to complete the build as well

• Monsoon Hardline Pro Bender Kit - Really good kit for working with hardlines
  • Heatgun - For bending the tubes
  • After Market pump top - the stock one with the pump looked a bit naff so i replaced it with a nicer one
  • Koolance drain value
  • Alphacool Laing Silencer Set - To mount the pump on to try and reduce noise
  • A filling bottle
  • Mounting Tape
  • Red LED strip

Back