• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternative to Norton Utilities?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Any specific one you need? Personally I dislike norton, the buy great programs like partition magic and drag them down. Though I know of only a handful of full system maintance suites and nonereally seem very good.

I use a variety of programs in place of Norton, simply because they are such resource hogs. What specific areas of NU do you use most?

I need the software that cleans up the registry and any errors. I think in norton it is called system doctor.

hmm... use ashampoo Winoptimizer!

No.. ya dont' hafta buy it. You can get a demo key from them that i believe is for either 3 or 6 months? It does much of what you want done.

For that, you can try Error Doctor which I believe gives you a lifetime option for $39. You get a cancellation option for 90 days with a moneyback guarantee. No matter the case, its cheaper than Norton

Norton is a hog for sure, but it works. I have been using it for years with no problems. I also use Diskeeper Pro and it also works great and is faster.

I use Norton Internet Security thats all I use I think the Utilities software is a resource hog and it doesn't fix errors to me it creates them. There a waste of money are those programs from Norton. Internet Security does what it supposed to do cause that I all I need if you want a registry cleaner. Try System Mechanic that's not a bad program you can get a free 30-day trial it helps me a lot.

M Powered said:
I need the software that cleans up the registry and any errors. I think in norton it is called system doctor.

I use a little program called RegSupreme . Been using it for about 5+ years and NEVER had any problems or errors from using it . All around great solid progam and super easy to use . I use this little gem on ALL my rigs and clients pc's . Works xint in x64 too ! :cool:

Depending which version you want its also very cheap $13-$16-$29 . You can download a 30-trial of any three listed programs . Upgrades are also free .

I highly recommend . ;) :D REGSUPREME LINKY / MACECRAFT.COM

Last edited:
I use the following collection of programs to keep the machine clean and tidy:

Kaspersky AntiVirus
Windows Built in Firewall
CCleaner(run it once a week, including the registry cleaner)
Adaware SE
Spybot Search and Destroy
Spyware Blaster
Microsoft AntiSpyware

(I update all of these weekly)

Combine these with the security of the most up to date version of Firefox, as well as making sure you have every Windows update, and you have a flawless system.

With these programs, the legendary "windows degradation over time" problems do not exist. My pc is as fast after two years as one of yours would be upon first clean install. Spyware has no chance on my machine and neither do viruses.

When I repair people's machines, I usually install the above -Kaspersky(unless they are willing to buy it) and tech support is no longer needed. Set all of the things above to run and update automatically and even teenagers won't be able to screw it up.

Registry Mechanic and Spyware Doctor both do the registry I believe, though I also believee they both cost money. For an all around suite you are most likly going to have to spend some $, if you do not mind getting the tools seperatly though you can find most of them for free. A good place to check out is download.com and softpedia.com read some reviews on the type of software you want and try a couple out.

What about selective install/ uninstall of Sytem Works' usable parts?

Layback Bear said:
Norton is a hog for sure, but it works. I have been using it for years with no problems. I also use Diskeeper Pro and it also works great and is faster.
The makers of Diskeeper will Spam you to death if you register! But it does beat the snot out of Speed Disk.

I like Disk Doctor and System Doctor; I never let any Norton software other than AV load itself from startup. Their AV is thorough, but I like AVG better, so I wasn't even letting NAV load at all lately on the Inet messaging machine (this one). But that NAV expired and is nagging the hell out of me about itself now.

I would prefer to kill off the AV part somehow, and its suspense for renewal, if the Uninstall was selective. Or if I uninstalled everything and could do a selective reinstall, but AFAIK, there is no such!

:bang head

Norton Corporate is hot, other than that screw norton. I use corporate 10.0 and its nice

Layback Bear said:

I used to think the same thing, used the utilities for about 3 years - then i stopped using them all together - and guess what, my computers still work.

personally - i dont think you need the utilities at all - i install and uninstall alot of programs and i cant say i ever saw any "real" speed gains after running norton's tools.

a good old defrag and clean out of temp folders and off i went!

dguy6789 said:
I use the following collection of programs to keep the machine clean and tidy:

Kaspersky AntiVirus
Windows Built in Firewall
CCleaner(run it once a week, including the registry cleaner)
Adaware SE
Spybot Search and Destroy
Spyware Blaster
Microsoft AntiSpyware

(I update all of these weekly)

Combine these with the security of the most up to date version of Firefox, as well as making sure you have every Windows update, and you have a flawless system.

With these programs, the legendary "windows degradation over time" problems do not exist. My pc is as fast after two years as one of yours would be upon first clean install. Spyware has no chance on my machine and neither do viruses.

When I repair people's machines, I usually install the above -Kaspersky(unless they are willing to buy it) and tech support is no longer needed. Set all of the things above to run and update automatically and even teenagers won't be able to screw it up.

I didn't know about CCleaner. That thing is amazing. Thanks.

Back